Chapter 9: Next Step

11:29 AM

I took a moment to steady myself, wiping away the tears that were gathering at the corners of my eyes and threatening to flood my cheeks. There was too much work to be done for me to be overwhelmed by my emotions right now, but damn did I ever miss Kaeya. It'd been so long since I'd had a simple hug, and just how much I missed every aspect of her had hit me like a cannon. Her soft hand on my cheek. Her gentle voice comforting me. Her firm kiss reassuring me that we would get through anything.

I stood alone in the docking bay, half a soul inside a whole body, and I couldn't help but waver as my loneliness weighed on me like a boulder. I had nearly died yesterday, and there was no guarantee that I would survive our next encounter. If Kaeya really was being held by the Federation, then was I really capable of rescuing her? Or would I die fruitlessly fighting an entire nation?

Not like there was any point in living without her, I suppose.

I took a deep breath and smacked myself in the face. I couldn't mope about like this, it was the time for action, and I had no choice but to have faith that I would succeed. I set my face in a neutral expression, shoved my loneliness back down until it was no longer suffocating me, and set off in search of Reaper and Aria.

The station reeked of sweat and blood, a fact that I hadn't noticed the first time, and I wrinkled my nose in disgust. It was clear that the pirates were not maintaining the slightest hint of hygiene, and it was a miracle that the smell hadn't driven them all mad yet.

Dirt and chipped paint caked the tarnished steel walls, and the door between the docking bay and the station proper shrieked painfully as I pushed it open. Its primitive hinges were badly rusted and cracked, and I stared at them aghast. Did anybody maintain anything in this station?

I turned down a side hall, trying to recall the way to the office where Reaper's Mother had been, but I found the way blocked by a small group of pirates whispering to each other. They were a disgusting bunch, covered in tattoos and piercings and casually waving around an assortment of weapons as they talked. A stench rose off them, and I saw a flash of broken yellow teeth from one of them as they talked. They were a stark contrast to Thomas' group, and I figured that these people were pirates by choice, not force. 

I cleared my throat loudly to get their attention, but all I got was a few glances and sneers, and one of them turned to face me. "Fuck off," he growled, glaring at me, "we're talking here."

My temper exploded faster than I could keep in check, a burning rage gripping my chest, and I lashed out my right fist without thinking. It connected with the pirate's chin with a sharp crack, and he fell to the floor, limp. I heard the two ADAs accompanying me raise their weapons, and the rest of the pirates looked at me in shock.

"You will address me as Admiral at all times," I growled, rage twisting my voice. "You will stand at attention and salute when I pass. You will treat all your comrades with respect and dignity. You will respect the lethality of the weapons you wield, and not wave them around inside the station like damn barbarians. And if you don't want to..." I paused, glowering at the chastised pirates. "Then you will be escorted off my station."

I stalked through the group, shoving them out of my way with little resistance. I was surrounded by uncivilized idiots, and they would have to be lashed into shape if they were to serve as my crew.

I passed by some of Reaper's crew as I continued forwards, and they stopped and properly saluted me as I had trained them to do. I returned the salute, a portion of my anger fading at their proper conduct, and sent them to go help the man I had knocked out. My fist stung from the blow, and I was nursing it as I finally reached the office room.