Chapter Four

After we departed ways, I made my way home. I opened the door, and a whoosh of freezing cold air played upon my face. My mom had the air conditioning cranking. I stepped in and wished I had my sweatshirt. I looked over to the living room and waved to my Dad.
        "How was school?" he asked.
        "Good,"
        "Just good?"
         "It was pretty much normal," I said. I didn't feel like going into detail about my day. My Mom walked in.
         "Hey, a new family just moved in. They have a son your age. I thought you could go introduce yourself. It might be nice to make a friend in our neighborhood," she said, while she reorganized some books on a shelf.
         "I already met him today. We have a few classes together," I said as I ignored her curious looks, "I have a lot of homework, so I'm going to get started on that,"
         "Okay. I'll call you down for dinner," she resumed fixing the books.
                                       ••••
I woke up the next day with my eyes watering and neck sore. I had stayed up all night doing my homework, and fell asleep in my laptop. I woke up in the middle of the night and got back in bed, but then couldn't fall back asleep. I laid in bed for another 10 minutes, but then forced my self out of bed by the threat of missing the bus. I went through my usual morning routine, but this time throwing some mascara on. I pulled sweatpants and a t-shirt on, and grabbed my back pack. You have no idea how bad of a decision it was to not eat breakfast that day, let me tell you. I waved goodbye to my Mom and Dad, who were eating breakfast at the table. I braided my hair on the walk, and just as I had finished tying it up, I heard a yell. I looked frantically around and saw a large truck with a man struggling with someone outside of it. I saw flash of jet black hair and realized it was Alec. Not sure if I should yell, or just call the police, I just stood there. Moving any closer would put me in danger, but I couldn't do nothing. I grabbed my phone out of my back pocket and started to dial 911, when I heard a voice.
"Hey! You! Come here!" said the man. He had turned to me. I gasped. He was the same man watching me and Alec from behind the neighborhood sign. I had no intention of going towards him, but I couldn't make myself move, either.
"Colette, RUN," Alec shouted. I started to sprint, but it was hard to run in flip flops. The man soon caught up to me and grabbed me around my waist, knocking the wind out of me. I squirmed and kicked as hard as I could and held on to my phone with a death grip. He ripped it from my hand and threw it on the ground, and stepped on it with as much force as possible. He walked the length of where I was standing and his truck and held me down and tied me up, not even bothering to gag me. He picked me up again, and threw me with such force into the roomy part of the car that I bounced against the wall. He slammed the door shut, and it was all dark.
"Colette? Is that you?" I heard a terrified voice say. I surmised as much that it was Alec.
"Yes. What's going on? That guy is the one that was watching us yesterday," I tried not to sound accusatory. I had a feeling something like this would happen, with Alec around.
"I know. But that doesn't matter right now. Are you okay?"
"No, I just got thrown against a wall. But it'd make me feel a lot better if I had some answers as if to why this is happening," I snapped. I willed myself not to cry. This is it, I thought. This is how I'm going to die. Alec sighed.
        "Look, it's kind of complicated. My family just had some... business with this guy," he finished lamely. I raised my eyebrows, but then it dawned on my that he could not see.
         "Business?"
         "Yeah. So he's always trying to get back at our family. And well, it worked out now, didn't it," We sat in silence for a couple minutes. I couldn't believe how calm we were. Perhaps it was because we knew it was a hopeless cause.
          We felt the car stop driving. There was a sound that sounded like someone turning a lock. The door opened, the light blinding us. The man looked at me, then at Alec. He smiled.