C h a p t e r 1

The street was too silent to your likings, not a single person casually walked down the street, and it was rush hour. You didn't know if this was normal for this street, you had never been down this street before.

But then again, you've never really gone down any of the streets here. You moved 5 days ago from your home town Richmond, Virginia, to here, the center of the city of dreams itself, New York City.

When you gotten the letter from your land lord last night, he seemed terrified. You guessed it was who ever you were about to meet he was scared of, which made you scared. You recalled the night before, when Mr. Reed knocked on your door.

The night before...

You tuned your guitar, leaning back on the wall next to the window frame you were sitting on. The city moved fluidly, like some intricate light show, 5 floors below you.

The last few days have been a pain, finding a job, dealing with or landlord, and avoiding thinking about your parents. You knew they were freaking out, since all you left them was a note saying you were leaving for New York.

Now you were thinking it was a mistake leaving Richmond. But you tried staying optimistic, it was the only way you could live without depression taking you over here.

A knock interrupted your thoughts, you sighed and put down your guitar. As you walked to your door the knocking continued, it was quick and frantic.

You unlocked two of your three locks, but you kept the chain lock on. You opened the door as much as the chain would let you and you peaked through the crack in the door. "Y/n! Quick, open the door!" It was Mr. Reed, your landlord.

You quickly shut the door and unlocked it, then reopened the door, "Come in." Mr. Reed dashed in and you closed the door behind you and you locked it. He usually was rude and tough, but now he looked, panicked and scared, a few drops of sweat falling down the side of his face.

"Mr. Reed, could I get you some coffee?" You spoke gently. Mr. Reed looked at you, panting from running to your room, "That'd be appreciated.." he ran a hand through his hair, slicking it back.

You made him his coffee and the two of you sat down at a small table you had in the corner of the kitchen. "Here, this is for you." Mr. Reed handed you a letter with a shakey hand.

With a puzzled face you took it, examining the neat vanilla envelope and a wax ceil with some strange sign that looked like a broken peace sign. "What's it about?" You looked up at Mr. Reed, "Read it yourself." He scoffed, he was starting to act like his normal self now that he calmed down.

"Dear Y/n L/n,

Welcome to New York! We certainly hope you enjoy yourself here. We are simply here to tell of you some rules that don't exist in other states.

1. Around here, we control everything, not the cops.

2. We are higher, and we expect you to respect us.

3. We do are best the protect you, so every week make sure you give us our share of your pay, we expect 50% of it, but since you're still looking gor a job, we only expect 25% for the first week

Tommorow, meet us at our Headquarters in Long Grove Drive, 1529, at 1:35PM, don't be late.

Sincerely,      
Overwatch"