46. Something's Wrong

1919 

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Mikaelson Compound 

"There he is! Our war hero, triumphantly returned. Oh, good to have you back, Marcellus. Welcome home!" Niklaus exclaimed with joy, patting his adoptive son's back. The three men toasted and drank their martinis, given to them by the waiter.

Elijah let out a laugh. "The prodigal son has finally learned to hold his liquor."

Marcel nodded, setting Poppy onto her feet, who turned and hugged her father's leg. "The Army'll do that to you."

"Well, it's good to have you back. Niklaus was beside himself in your absence." Elijah told his adoptive nephew.

Niklaus set down his glass, picking up his daughter and holding her. Poppy rubbed her face into his chest tiredly. "Now that you are here," he spoke "perhaps you could help settle an argument. You see, you've traded a war abroad for one here in the Quarter. Some rogue witch wants a piece of the city we built, and Elijah, for reasons beyond my comprehension, insists that negotiation is our best recourse."

Elijah nodded in agreement. "Yes."

Klaus turned to his brother. "On the topic of your failed comprehension, you neglect, as a soldier, Marcel has seen not only how small the world has become and how fast news can travel, but also the very horrors of war itself. Surely, Marcel would agree with me."

"The best way for us to defend our home is by exercising discretion." Elijah spoke.

Marcel nodded. "So who's the witch you want to kill?" He asked quietly.

"His name is Papa Tunde. I think he's a charlatan." Klaus responded.

Elijah looked to the entrance of the compound as a man dressed in white entered, followed by his sons. "Well, Marcel shall be able to decide that for himself. You invited him here."

Klaus nodded. "Of course. We're not savages, are we?" He asked, walking to his quest. "Thank you for accepting our invitation, and welcome. I hope you'll allow me to play the role of host. If there's anything you need--- anything at all..."

Papa Tunde smiled widely. "Pleasure before business, then. Hahaha!"

Klaus turned and walked to the bar. "Are you tired, my love?" He asked Poppy, rubbing her back gently.

Poppy nodded against his chest. "Yes, Daddy.."

"Then we ought to get you to bed." He told her.

"Okay, Daddy." She whispered before lifting her head up and looking over at where Papa Tunde sat. "He's a witch?" 

Klaus raised an eyebrow, confused by her curiosity. "Yes, he is." 

"Can you put me down?" Poppy asked, squirming a bit. 

Nodding, the dad of the girl set her on her feet and watched closely as she walked to where Papa Tunde and his two sons, twins, sat. She held her hands together in front of the skirt of her dress in nervousness. 

Papa Tunde looked down at Poppy and smiled. Having two sons of his own, the man had a heart for small children. Especially witches. "Why hello there." 

Poppy looked up at him. "Hello." 

"What's your name?" The witch asked her, leaning down a bit.