51. The Turning Point

"Mother? What happened?"

"Niklaus refused my offer."

Klaus rushed into the courtyard. "Hayley!" He yelled, his voiced filled with urgency. "Hayley!" The Original had somehow managed to carry both his daughter and his brother. Elijah, who was sleeping, was resting over his shoulder. Poppy, who was kind of awake, was cradled in his arms.

The werewolf/vampire rushed down the stairs from the second floor, her eyes wide. "Klaus!" She ran over to him and held her arms out. "I'll take Poppy." She told him, and he nodded, gently passing his daughter to Hayley.

Hayley backed up so Klaus could move past her to the stairs, and she watched as he brought Elijah towards his bedroom. She look down at Klaus's daughter, who made a small noise of discomfort and opened her eyes.

"Hayley...?" She furrowed her eyebrows, her voice weak and quiet.

Hayley began walking. "It's me, you're safe, sweetheart."

Poppy looked at the courtyard. "I think I can walk.."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah.."

Hayley set Poppy onto her bare feet, and the skirt of her bloodied dress fell to her ankles.

The ground was cool, and needed to be swept. Poppy kept a hand on Hayley's arm for stability as she took a step forward. Pain shot up her leg from having not used it in a few days, and she winced, but continued, and the pain began to lessen.

Klaus walked down the hallway and to the stairs. "Love, you shouldn't be walking." He said, walking down the stairs quickly.

"I'm okay, Dad." His daughter told him, moving her hand away from Hayley. She stepped towards him, but her knees buckled from the lack of use, and she fell forward into the arms of her father. She closed her eyes, tears streaming down her cheeks almost immediately. She sniffled.

Klaus frowned and rubbed her back. "Hey..let's get you to bed,"

"Still burdened with hatred for me. For what happened to his child."

"He's a fool. Your actions saved this family! If that child had lived-"

"Dahlia would return, and she would come for us all."

The Turning Point 

September 7, 2012

New Orleans, Louisiana 

The Mikaelson Compound 

"Poppy, wake up," Klaus said softly to his daughter, who laid in bed. 

The night before was rough. She was sore, tired, upset, confused. Hayley had taken turns watching her at night, keeping her dreams happy and peaceful, instead of plagued with nightmares. Silas stayed beside her also, staying awake for half of the night before sleeping. 

Klaus knew she was brave, and strong, but he knew she would need a break at some point. She wouldn't be able to handle everything without exploding without a break. Unfortunately, they weren't going to take a break. Not yet, anyways. 

Poppy turned onto her back, letting out a soft groan of sleepiness. "Hm...?" 

"I'm going out to the Bayou and I want you to come with me.." Her dad spoke quietly.