Unit 2: Character Design-- Chapter Two: Sexy, Ugly, Average!

Chapter Two: Sexy, Ugly, Average!

Let's visit that first male character of ours. The lonely friendly guy. As you envision his personality, his physical traits begin to take place.

He's a dirty blonde with deep blue eyes. He's got the build of a swimmer, lean and muscular. He also has a little scar under his left eye from a hunting accident. And being as he's friendly, most people who are outgoing and friendly tend to wear clothes that attract attention. Clothes that say:

"Hey, I'm nice. I'll listen. Come talk to me!"

So, how about we give him a nice plaid blue button up shirt over a white tank top and khakis. Hell, let's give him some nice blue sketchers sneakers. He knows how to dress and judging from what he's wearing, the weather is relatively warm.

So now we have his appearance! He seems to be an average looking fellow. Friendly, approachable, and maybe just a tid bit reckless judging from his scar, right?

Now onto the woman!

Our girl, as we mentioned, is spunky and crazy. She gets bullied for being different, unique. So, how about we give her brown hair that's cut in a short V-bob. You know, short in the back, longer in the front. She has glittering hazel eyes too with a little beauty mark in the far corner of her left eye.

Seeing as she's just a bit strange, she also wears clothes that pop out at people and maybe scares them a little bit. So, we'll give her torn black skinny jeans with a chain to go through her belt loops. Hell, let's give her a plaid red and black skirt to put over top of that! Now, give her a nice silky red blouse to match her skirt with short sleeves seeing as it is warm outside. She loves jewelry, so give her silver bangles and cross earrings, even if she isn't religious. We'll add a lacy choker!

Fantastic! She's about average looking, not totally sexy, just plain.

As for our antagonist, being as he's the stereotypical bad ass macho man, we'll give him black hair and leafy green eyes. Let's give him a beat up leather jacket over a black wifebeater (that IS a type of tank top, people. He's not actually beating anyone's wife) before we give him some sexy leather pants to squeeze that muscular ass of his as well as some motorcycle boots (because I'm a sucker for Harley-Davidson attire).

And there you go, people! There's some outfits and physical appearance!

If you're sure what you want your character to look like, just open up a search engine and start typing in actors or actresses. Sometimes the appearance of another person can inspire you about your character. Not to mention, it helps the reader get a good idea of what your character looks like! Provide pictures and take advantage of Wattpad's casting section to the right of your page after it's posted!

Need help with outfits? Go to clothing websites and pick out something your character would be wearing! Make sure it matches their personality. If your character is extremely withdrawn and pessimistic towards the world, he wouldn't be wearing polka-dotted purple skinnies with a tutu, right?

Be realistic! There's tons of clothing websites out there, and keep in mind that if your character doesn't have money to afford Calvin Klein, there's a big chance he won't be wearing it unless it's a gift. Try websites like Wal-Mart, Yesstyle, Harley-Davidson, Sammydress, and tons of other websites!

You can also make up your own clothing, but make sure you describe it well. Don't go too indepths and start explaining where the seams are. Your readers just want the general idea. Don't go boring them about the seams on the sleeves or on the inside.

Try the basic materials, like silk blouse. You can throw in a couple more adjectives, like silk blouse with spaghetti straps.

So, remember!

Clothes match personality and how much money they have.

Don't get too in details or you'll lose the readers. Give enough detail so we get the gist of the outfit, unless descriptions are your forte and you're sure that'll keep the reader hooked on every word.

Fashion. So complicated.

Next: Unit 2: Character Design-- Chapter Three: Names!