5. relocating

Ash gazed out of the car window, his aquamarine gaze gaze calmly surveying the surroundings as they whizzed past him. It used to be bright, with trees and shrubs and sun. Now it was dark gray. Shady. Tight. Narrow and stuffy. But it was a familiar sight to Ash.

Ah, we're going to Cain's bar, Ash concluded. Cain was normally cautious of guys like Ash, but Sing had negotiated with him so that was taken care of.

It was nearly an hour since they'd left Shorter's apartment. By then, Eiji had fallen asleep on Ash, lulled into a snooze by the dull rumble of the car. Thoughts of Arthur's threats to hurt him and his gang surfaced in Ash's mind, and he found his arms wrapping closer around eiji.

The blonde carefully stroked Eiji's soft ebony hair. Just wait, eiji... A few more days and we can move into the new condominium, and we will be safe forever.

---

The car rolled into the alleyway, stopping in front of a stairway thated underground. As Ibe thanked the driver, Ash gently nudged Eiji awake.

Shorter and Sing arrived on their motorcycle and the car drove off, leaving the five of them there.

"I've already talked to Cain," Sing spoke up, arms folded. "he's not going to be hostile. If he is, I expect you can handle it, Ash Lynx." He smirked.

Ash nodded with a thanks. He would not interfere with Cain, nor would Cain interfere with him. That was the deal.

Shorter have his friend a hearty slap on the back. "I can't stay with you, man. My gang's got stuff to deal with. Wishing you best of luck with the mafia." Ash replied with a smile. "Thanks, Shorter."

Shorter wrapped eiji in a bear hug before leaving with sing on the motorcycle.

There was a moment of silence, then ash decided to move. "come on, you two, don't just stare at the stairway."

"A-alright."

The bright afternoon light outside was left behind as they decsended into the dimness, before being engulfed by a wave of ambient purple-pink light and soft background jazz.

Eiji stepped into the bar and stiffened at the sight of a bunch of buff dudes looking up from the pool tables and bar counters to stare that the three of them. Ash motioned for him to stand behind him, whispering "stay close, i promise there is no danger"

The chatter in the neon-lit room died down and soon all that filled eiji's nervous ears was the sour lull of the saxophone. Heads turned as Cain, the Black Sabbath's leader, emerged from the back of the bar. Ash knew there was a caring man under those tough-looking shades, but it was eiji's first time meeting Cain and he was a little spooked.

Cain crossed his arms. "Welcome to Black Sabbath's den, Ash Lynx... Hopefully youre not going to try killing me this time." He chuckled.

Ash smiled, rasing an eyebrow. "As long as your boys don't attack us like last time. "

He nods in thanks before motioning for eiji and Ibe to follow him.

The Japanese boy wandered past the halls covered with playful grafitti with the same awe as when he stepped into ash's bar a long time ago. Both bars had a uniqueness to them, and a weirdly homey feeling. He smiled, feeling reassured. It's okay,  ash is friends with these people.

Between a door which had a hole busted into it and a door with many rounds of tic-tac-toe chalked onto it was the room Ash had chosen for eiji and himself, while ibe was given the room across them.

He exhaled as he set his bag down, moving an ebony lock out of his hair. Before eiji can tell ash to get his bags out of the doorway, he hears a muffled thud. The next thing he sees is ash face down on one of the two beds.