The Academy (Dave)

"It's gonna be great."

"Yeah."

"I'm serious, Dave."

"Yeah... yeah, I know."

He raked his hair back as he finished the last of his warm beer and set it on the broken coffee table beside him. Jennifer's hand fell to his shoulder and her thumb began to rub soothing circles into the tense muscles in an effort to relax him, if only just a little. He leaned back into her, she was perched on the couch with him on the floor in front of her, a shaking, fidgeting, tense bundle of nerves that was counting down the minutes until he needed to take the stage. 

It wasn't that he hadn't been to that venue before and knew what to expect, it was that he hadn't played that venue before. He had been excited to play Brixton Academy when Nirvana booked it for four nights in the beginning of April the year before and then postponed them until later in April when the 'incident' in Rome happened.

God, he hated that word, incident. It seemed to be the polite way to sum up the constant sucker punches that 1994 was made up of, though he had to admit there was one bright spot. 

Jen had offered to push back their wedding, August just seemed too soon after... the incident... but Dave insisted. He needed that day, that promise that there was someone on this godforsaken planet that wouldn't drag him through the shit and then leave him high and dry. It was a promise she was following through on, too. She had put off a rather important gallery opening to be with him in London and he found himself sighing into her touch, just so fucking grateful that she was there. 

"Can I get you another beer?"

He only shook his head, twisted enough to see her face and read the concern written all over it. "Thanks for being here," he said softly. 

She snorted a laugh and turned him back around to continue working on his shoulders. "And miss out on a fabulous trip to London? Fat chance, pal."

"Oh, I see," he felt himself smiling, actually smiling. "You just married me for my money."

"And your connections, and your frequent trips around the world, and..."

A knock landed on the wooden door followed by a thick Brummie accent. "Fifteen minutes, mate!"

He wasn't proud of it, in fact, he was downright ashamed, but there had been other women even in the relatively short time they had been married. Groupies, mostly, but some girls in bands he had toured with. He never could resist a woman that knew her way around an instrument and shared his love of loudness. But they weren't here with him now. One or two had asked for tickets but he ignored the request, wanting Jen as his rock instead.

He crawled up on to the couch towards her and she giggled as she rolled her eyes. "David, you have to be on stage soon."

"This is way more important," he grinned and kissed her, letting her deepen the kiss as she pulled him onto her. 

Things were just getting interesting, she was panting and trying to direct his hands down when the door handle jiggled violently.

"You're up, Dave!" came the same thick accent.

He reluctantly pulled away from his wife, both of them smiling at the interruption and knowledge that they'd finish what they started back at the hotel later. They walked to the stage hand in hand, just her presence creating a sort of force field against the anxiety and harsh memories for him. 

"You're going to be great," she reminded him as he strapped on his guitar. 

"Yeah," he smiled, only now believing her words and gave her one last kiss before he strolled out onto the wide stage behind Pat.

I was the one who left you

Always coming back 

I could not forget you, girl

Now I am up in arms again

Diving back towards the drum kit where he always felt more comfortable, he spied Jen just off stage smiling happily, holding a drink and practically bursting with pride. Returning her smile, he brushed the hair off his face and went back to the mic, smiling out over the frothing crowd and suddenly feeling as if he had hit a stride.

"That's a cute little love song... about my wife."

Requested by one of my absolute favorites, NakiraRoy ❤❤❤❤