4~ He's Bad News

Whoa. That's all I had to say. Now, let's go back about an hour and a half ago and explain.

               My alarm clock buzzed me awake, and I hit the snooze before rolling over and letting out a tired sigh. Then, my eyes fluttered open wide as the realization hit me like a ton of bricks. It was August 18, aka the first day of school at Brookbay High School. Letting out a groan, I climbed out of bed and threw on a pair of ripped skinny jeans and a v-neck grey shirt with "My other shirt has a really funny slogan on it" in block letters. I brushed my  teeth and ran a comb through my long hair, letting it fall in waves down my back. 

               "Cass, it's time to get up-" My mother's voice called. Then she stopped, seeing I was already up and dressed, and blinked. "Never mind." She left the room in a daze, surprised that I had willingly gotten up so early. At least, early for me. Letting out a low chuckle, I turned to the mirror. I had never been one for makeup, but I did decide on a bit of mascara. Scrutinizing myself in the mirror, from my pale face and big blue eyes to my converse covered feet, I gave a nod of approval and hurried down the stairs. 

                      I grabbed a granola bar from the basket on the table before nibbling on it, lost in thought. My Mom soon came in, going straight to the coffee maker and adding the mix and water, before sitting down at the table in front of me. "So, it's your first day of senior year," she said nonchalantly, but I could see the excitement in her eyes. "Are you excited? Nervous?" I hastily looked away, focusing my gaze on the window above the sink. "Not really," I said, giving her a casual shrug. Mom sighed in disapproval, knowing I was lying. 

                        I kept my eyes on the window, refusing to look at her. "Cassie," Mom began, but I interrupted. "Mom, I'm really not that excited or nervous. I have been to high school before, and I know the people there. They were all jerks to me, along with Aidan. So, I'm just neutral about it," I said. Then, I noticed a truck pulling up on the curb. I couldn't see who was inside, but I was pretty sure I saw a flash of blonde hair. The horn honked, and I looked over at Mom. "I think that's my ride," I said, grabbing my bag and slinging it across my back.

                         "Have a good day, sweetie!" she called, and I rolled my eyes and walked out the door, facing the morning air. It was foggy and the grass was covered in dew, a horrible sign of a school day. If it was a Saturday, by the time I woke up the sun would be shining at the grass would be hot and dry. I trotted through it, getting my shoes wet, before reaching the old pick up truck  and peering inside. Shaun rolled down the window, grinning at me with amused brown eyes. "Hey," I said uncertainly, quirking an eyebrow. "Just get in," he said, and I sighed dramatically before walking around the truck and climbing into the passenger seat, closing the door behind me.

                        I pulled the seatbelt across my torso just as Shaun put the car in drive. "You know, I never asked. Are you a senior?" I asked curiously. "Nah, I'm a junior, but I was held back in elementary school," he replied casually, and I nodded, feeling my heart sink. "Darn it. I'm going to have to talk to other people," I murmured, and Shaun chuckled. "You seemed alright with talking to me." I shrugged, smiling at him. "That's because you're easy to talk to, and you approached me." Shaun snorted and we continued to drive in silence. I got anxious as we approached the school, turning into the student parking lot. I breathed in deeply, preparing to face the people I had left behind.

                        Shaun parked and pulled the keys from the ignition before turning to me. "I'll walk you to the front office before class starts," he said, and I nodded. We climbed out of the truck and I looked around. It looked like the whole school was out there, chatting and laughing with their friends while leaning against cars. I recognized almost all of them. There was Nick, still looking as weaselly as ever, and Alice, tossing her hair in a superior manner. I shook my head, grinning. "What?" Shaun asked curiously. "Everybody's the same," I said, and Shaun chuckled. "You'd be surprised."