Part One: At the Office

Friday McDaniels sat behind his desk staring at the large collection of books that occupied the wall from floor to ceiling. His socked feet rested on the desktop, his tie loosened, his shoes placed strategically under foot, and he fumbled with the knobs of an etch-a-sketch he had set in his lap.

The shelves needed dusting. He could see from here the layer of film covering the wood. He scratched his nose, felt a sneeze coming on, then settled. False alarm. He was going to have to call Maddie in here to take care of that. He wasn't paying her for a half-assed job he could have done himself. No, he was paying her to clean the office, both the offices, and every inch of them to boot.

He heard the doorknob turn. He jerked upright, threw the etch-a-sketch into the bottom drawer, tightened his tie, and slipped his feet into his shoes. He flipped open a file folder that sat in front of him and pretended to read. The door opened. He looked up.

"Wednesday, my good man!" he said with a flair. Too much, he thought. He let his smile relax. The last thing he wanted was for Wednesday to get on him about dawdling when there were cases to solve.

Wednesday held a folder out in front of him. He tossed it onto the opened folder on Friday's desk.

"Take a look at this." Wednesday said.

"I'm a little busy, here. I've got three cases to run through already."

"Just take a look."

Friday flipped the folder open and skimmed the pages. When he was finished he shut the folder and looked at Wednesday, "I don't know what's so important about a missing sack of nuts." he said.

"Didn't you read?  This isn't just any old sack of nuts, Friday. This is the Candy Festival's prized premium nut sack. You know the one, it's on display every year in the gol--"

Friday put a hand up, "I know all about it. Mrs. Peachtree's premium nut sack. The see-through, gold silk wrapped mixed nuts that has been passed down through the Peachtree bloodline since before the dawn of time..."

"With the cream colored ribbon..."

"With the cream colored ribbon, indeed." Friday stared off, thinking about the annual Candy Festival and the lighted podium that showcased the very first packaged bag of nuts that Peachtree's Premium Nuts had ever made.

"They were stolen from Mrs. Peachtree's vault last night." Wednesdsay said, breaking off Friday's thoughts.

"I read that. It's in the file."

Wednesday rolled his eyes, "Of course you did."

"So, what do we do about it?"

"We do what we always do. We find out where it is, who did it, and why."

Friday sighed, He didn’t like that condescending tone "I know that. I mean what do we do right now?"

Wednesday stood, "I'd say the first thing we need to do is examine the vault for evidence, talk to Mrs. Peachtree, and question people."

"Absolutely. Right away.”

"Okay. I'll go grab my keys and I'll meet you outside."