Part 7: Up And At 'Em!

A door slammed. Footsteps pounded across the room and sunlight dazzled in from the window as the curtains were thrown wide. Friday opened his eyes, the light blinding him. A figure stood in front of him.

"You have a lot of nerve." the man said: Wednesday.           

Friday rubbed his eyes.          

"I called the office. Were you ignoring me?"           

Friday sat up quickly. Rananda! He looked around the room but she was gone. He looked down at himself. He was naked. He made no motion to cover himself up.           

"It's too early for this." he said.          

"It's ten in the morning. We've been open for two hours."          

"Oh shit." Friday stood and started dressing.          

"You've got a lot of nerve." Wednesday said again, "You were supposed to meet me at Peachtree's. I can't keep doing all the work by myself."           

"Quit overreacting. We'll find who did this."          

"Do you even like this job?" Wednesday yelled. Carol, the receptionist, peeked over her desk at the commotion. Wednesday hadn’t bothered to close the door.          

"Of course I do."          

"Then start acting like it! I can't keep carrying you. If you don't pull your shit together I'm going to have a talk with mom and dad. It's about time I get someone reliable in here."           

"Calm down. We'll figure this out."          

"We have two days, Friday, two days! Get yourself dressed and get down to Peachtree's. You're going to spend the day watching the surveillance camera. I'm going to check up on Candystripe. His alibi isn't very secure."           

"It's pretty secure. I've seen the appointment book." He zipped his pants and buckled his belt. He went to the window and closed the curtains, the darkness soothing his pounding head. 

Wednesday rubbed his nose again, "So have I, Friday. He didn't get there until midnight. That leaves a whole lot of time in between."           

"Fine. I'm going." he slipped his feet into his shoes and left. He nodded toward Carol as he went.