Part 10: The Library

Two stories of books stared down at Friday as he stood dumbfounded at the entrance of the library. The librarian was flipping through the pages of some book, small reading glasses perched low on her nose. Her graying hair was cut short and styled in small curls. She was thin and brittle looking, but there was an air about her that made her seem ageless. She didn’t look up from her book. Friday stood at the entrance somewhat hesitantly. It wasn’t too late to turn this train around and try something else, perhaps a comfortable bar stool and a friendly glass of scotch.

He shook it off. There was something deep in his gut that told him this was the place to be to find answers. He didn’t know if it were the endless shelves of resources or something Wednesday had said, but he knew this was where he would find his path.   

“You’re late.” Her voice rang out through the silent library. The sound was unsettling.

He moved to the desk and set Wednesday's notes down, “You were expecting me?”

She started at his voice, losing her place in the book she flipped through. She looked up and peered at him, lowering her glasses to the tip of her nose, "Wednesday. I was expecting Wednesday." She frowned, “Something bad must have happened or Friday McDaniel’s wouldn’t be standing here in front of me."

"You could say that.”

"Why are you here?" she asked. The plaque on the desk said Hazel Macabe.

"Answers."

"Well, you’re in the right place.”

"It's about Candystripe." A picture of Rananda's face flashed through his mind and he shivered. He shook the thought away. Now wasn’t the time.

She remained silent.

Friday scratched his head, thought about how to continue, "I--uh--I saw something. I'm not sure what I saw but I saw something. And now my brother is missing and Rananda Tippertoe is dead..."

"Oh dear." she shut the book in front of her and set it aside. She walked around the desk and led him to a table and sat him down. She took the seat next to him and folded her hands in her lap, "What did you see?"

"I don't know. I don't even want to say what I think I saw. It's...preposterous."

"Just be out with it."

"Candystripe. He's a...a thief." what was he supposed to say? A shapeshifter? Hazel would laugh at him if he said that.

"The nut sack?"

Friday nodded, "I got this letter shortly after I saw him on tape at the Peachtree Estate." he slid the letter towards her. She took it out and read.

She folded the letter back up, working slowly. She set it down and sighed, removing her glasses and resting them on top of the piece of paper. “I can see you’ve gotten yourself into a real mess.” She was silent for a long time, considering. Friday wondered if they were alone in this labyrinth of books. The only sound came from the ticking of the enormous clock housed above Hazel’s desk

Finally she spoke, "There's something you should know about Sir Candystripe.” She narrowed her eyes at him, “And I don't think I need to tell you to keep this information to yourself."

Friday nodded. Yeah, sure. Who would believe him anyway?

“Come with me.” She said.

He followed Hazel through the rows of books. His knees shook with each step and his breath came short and fast. He hadn’t drank enough, that much was certain. When was the last time he had faced a crisis? A real crises where he had to actually step up and fix things? Never. He'd always shoved everything off on Wednesday so he could go to Griffin's and pick up women.