Chapter Thirty-Nine - Helven

Some weeks later...

DEEP WITHIN THE BOWELS OF THE PRIME TREE something stirred. Down in the putrid mix of damp and decay where not even the faintest sliver of light reached, the waters of a small stagnant pool rippled and splashed. The creature dragged its pale body from the watery sludge onto the small rocky ledge that surrounded the pool. It hauled itself upright and stretched the kinks out of its wiry body and crooked limbs. A thin membrane flickered across its eyes revealing the cold blackness beneath. It breathed deeply of the foul air revelling in the putrid stench, its jaws opening impossibly wide to reveal rows of needle-like teeth.

It laughed grimly to itself in the darkness, a deep throaty chuckle that echoed around the chamber.

These Elves, it thought to itself. So self-important. Do they naively think the detritus of their everyday lives just disappear? Are they so egotistic they do not see that it leeches into the very land they profess to safeguard? Even here far beneath their city the earth and air are poisoned, a corruption that seeps into the roots of even their beloved Prime Tree. It chuckled again. The rise of the Helven will only hasten what would eventually come to pass. The death of the Elven Empire and all it proclaimed to protect.

The Helven creature pushed forward. Even though its eyes had adjusted to the darkness, it did not require them to navigate the passageways ahead. Its other senses were more than adequate to allow it to reach its destination. The creature had journeyed this way many times in the past.

It brushed aside a straggle of thin roots that concealed the entrance to a narrow passageway and stepped inside. The floor sloped gently upwards made slippery by the constant drip of water and muck that oozed from above. The creature loped along the low winding tunnel until it reached a roughly hewn set of steps carved long ago into one of the great roots. It slowed, moving more furtively now, not because it feared the Elves—it was more than capable of dealing with a few Elves—but the less attention it drew the better. From its past visits, it knew Elves seldom ventured this far down, still, there was no need to throw caution to the wind.

At long last, it reached a narrow wooden doorway, its surface half-eaten by rot, the metal hinges rusted with age. The Helven paused, listening for the sound of voices or movement from beyond, but all was silent. Twisting the handle, it pushed gently. With a squeal of protest, the door swung open. The creature stopped listening, again only silence greeted it.

The room was in darkness. Its eyes easily made out the stacks of broken crates and barrels that littered the dusty floor. It picked its way through the debris to another door on the opposite side of the room. A faint light showed through gaps in the door frame. Once again it paused to listen, this time its enhanced hearing picked up far off voices and the muffled sounds of Elves going about their daily tasks. Cautiously the creature opened the door and peered out. A short passageway—created from the tangle of tree roots—lay ahead, lit by several lamps that gave off a faint blue-green glow. Quickening its pace, the creature moved purposefully down the passage its senses alert for any sign of discovery.

At the end of the passage, a steep shadowy stairway ascended into the root system of the Prime Tree. Staying close to the wall, it made its way up. The air grew oppressive and thick with heat as it neared its destination. Reaching a landing it pressed close against the wall and peered around a corner. Several more passageways branched off the area. It selected one and moved swiftly along its length. Rounding a corner, the Helven suddenly found itself face to face with a lone Elf. He sat in a small alcove, a jug of ale and an empty plate lay nearby. The creature cursed, it was too late now to turn back. Stepping closer it realizing the Elf slept. Thinking to creep passed and continue its journey, it paused, an idea forming in its mind.