Chapter Thirty-Seven - Battle of the Daemon Arena

WITH THE DAEMONS CONVERGING ON HIM FROM BOTH DIRECTIONS. Malin desperately searched for a doorway or an alcove in which to conceal himself. He was trapped, the circle was tightening around him. Although he was cloaked with magic, there would be no escape when the creatures reached his position. He prepared himself to fight his way out of trouble. The magic of the Key Stones made him a formidable foe for the Daemons, but he was wary of engaging them in battle. If anything should happen to him, then he would be unable to complete the quest and seal the barrier. Malin reached out with the magic letting it flow into the passageways and tunnels that surrounded him, hoping to get a measure of the number of Daemons that he would be confronting.

Beware of those that approach — The magic whispered in a warning.

A hint of a smile formed on his features. In his haste, he had been mistaken. The ones above were not Daemons. He sensed Elves and others, but among them were his friends. He heeded the magic; something about the Elves in the group made him proceed with caution he was unsure what it was, just a feeling the magic was trying to warn him that things were not as they seemed. Malin flattened against the wall and waited for them to come to him. A giant figure turned the corner and slowly descended the steps towards him. He recognised it as a Stone Troll, but why one was in the Daemon lair, he had no idea. Behind it came a dark-haired Elven girl dressed in black and following her, to his relief, he saw Danielle and Jessica. Before he could look further, the Elf girl halted mere steps away from where he stood. He felt a subtle change in the air around him. A sudden shifting of the light and temperature that caused a shiver to run through his body. She turned and looked straight at him.

Malin heard the girl calling out to the Troll. 'Ixil, I think what we seek is close. Very close.'

Malin gasped in silent wonder. Somehow she knew he was here.

But that should have been well-nigh impossible, he was cloaked in the magic of the Stones, it supposedly concealed him from everything. With the exception of another powerful magic, it would seem. Recognizing the futility of keeping up the guise any longer, he let go of the magic he was using to hide himself away.

Seeing him appear out of thin air, appeared to momentarily shock the two girls. They stood staring for an instant before Jessica rushed over to greet him.

'Malin, we thought we had lost you,' she cried.

'I came close,' he whispered back, noting Danielle did not follow her sister. 'But thanks to the Key Stones, I am still here.'

Malin looked around seeing the Elven girls dark eyes flash in interest at the mention of the Stones. He glanced farther back into the shadows seeing the Elf in a horned helmet and a lizard creature. A spark of recognition flashed in the back of his mind, but with all that was happening, he found he could not gather his thoughts properly.

'Where are George and the others?' he asked worriedly.

Danielle quickly explained about her brother and Eldon trying to lead the Daemons away and with a glance at the Elven girl told of Holt staying behind to guard the portal. She then introduced the rest of the party to him.

Malin acknowledged everyone, noting both girls seeming distrust of the newcomers. If the chance arose, he would need a quiet word.

'It is good to finally meet you,' the one called Mallt Rhakan said, her voice soft and honeyed in the half-light of the stairwell. But something in its tone warned him to be on his guard.

Malin grudgingly accepted her greeting, a more pressing matter was troubling him.

'We best move from this stairwell. Daemons are pursuing me and I fear they have picked up my trail once again.'