6. Michelle.

Amandla Stenberg as Michelle

I get to class just in time before I'm scolded for being late. There's no home room today so my First Class is AP English.

My class has double chairs meaning you can have a seat partner. I go to my seat close to the front area and have my seat. I have no partner, the chair next to me is empty so there's no one to talk to. I look around and I observe that people are looking at me and whispering. What the hell!

I turn my attention to my seat when I hear a scuffle. I see a girl I've never seen before with brown skin, black long curly hair and coffee brown eyes with pretty curves sitting next to me. I want to ignore her but then I remember the extracurricular agenda I made this morning. Make new friends. A voice in my mind reminds me.

As I want to greet her, she beat me to it after arranging her bag. "Hey, I'm Michelle. I'm new here. What's your name?" she asks me with a smile. I notice she's very pretty. Wow she's in the spirit.

"I'm Katherine, nice to meet you." I say to her, smiling back at her. "Um.. Where did you transfer from?" I ask her since the teacher seems to be running late. "I transferred here from Lighthouse Academy in Atlanta. It's a private school for girls. I've never been in a public school before and around so many hot boys. Although there was a boys school that we interacted with but they clearly are not as hot as these ones." She says with clear wonder in her voice. "I'm sure you'll get used to it in no time." I say and almost immediately, the English teacher saunters in.

I find out that I and Michelle have all our classes together so we've basically been together the whole day. I found out that she's 18, an only child and she lives in the huge mansion at the end of my street. And I noticed that she loves talking about boys. Well she's been boy deprived so I can see why.

It's lunch time now and me and Michelle are heading to the lunch area outside with our lunch. We head to a table and sit down. We talk as we enjoy our food. Michelle is the really chatty type and I like her. I hate silent moments so she's like the best person for me to hang out with.

"So Kathy, who was that black Greek God you came to school with this morning?" She asks while wiggling her eyebrows at me and smiling mischievously. I laugh "Oh My God! Way to describe him?" I continue laughing.

"Well spill woman! Is he your brother. If he is then girl we need to make some arrangements you know what I'm saying. I will not let a beautiful man pass me by!"
She says with an accent that sounds like Taraji P. Henson. I laugh harder. This girl is so funny.

"He's my neighbour okay? Not my brother. I just met him yesterday. My car has a problem so he drove me to school this morning." I tell her. She looks at me with one of those 'That's not the whole story' faces.

"What?" I ask her. "You're hiding something. Spill. I saw the way you were looking at him. I know something's going on." she says.

"Michelle nothing is freaking going on." She looks at me weird again. Fine! "Okay I feel some kind of attraction towards him but that's it."

"There you go Princess. How hard was that? But if I were you, I'd throw whatever dignity I have out the window and jump him while I have the chance. You're wasting time girl." she says matter of factly like she did not just say the last thing a girl should do.

"You're out of your mind Michelle." I say shaking my head at her. "Hey what I said is true. Life's too short to not be living it. And that boy is hot and he might be attracted to you so what's the problem." she asks looking concerned. Oh good! Now she's noticed. I let out Sigh.