Chapter 04: Old Rival and Old Friend

"Miss, today is moonlight festival! Let's go to the evening market!", Kiya exclaimed excitedly as she bounced into Ai's room.

Ai Shizuka smiled softly at her handmaiden. Adorning her usual hairstyle of youthful pigtails is a young energetic little lady with a bright positive view towards life. She is innocent, loyal, cheerful and always tried to bring smiles to those around her.

Ai's memories flashback to Kiya in her previous life. It was during the time when things started to go downhill.

Ai Shizuka noticed her circumstances within the Omaru household were not too good and felt the foreshadowing of a violent storm that was about to happen. She immediately released the order for Kiya to be relocated. She didn't want the innocent Kiya, who was simply following her orders, to get involved in the darkness of the world and face the repercussions. If only she could, she wouldn't have gotten anyone involved at all.

Ai remembered how Kiya had broken down upon receiving the order. Crying and kicking away the other servants that tried to drag her away from her young miss, Kiya had desperately clung to Ai as she pleaded over and over again to let her stay.

But yet Ai had made up her mind. she steeled her expression and coldly walked away as her young companion was dragged away by force. Ai's expression turned pained as she reminisced the events of her past life.

"Miss! Miss! If you don't want to go, we don't have to go! It's this servant's fault for suggesting that! Miss, please don't be sad!", the present Kiya said worriedly as she noticed the solemn expression on her young miss.

Ai immediately brightened up and shook her head. "Oh no no, Kiya, I was just thinking about something else, let us go to market then!"

Ai Shizuka reaffirmed her decision in her mind. From now on, she would spend her every waking moment with her loved ones fully and no longer be blinded by her obsession like her previous life. She would truly treasure them and would never lose them again.

*****

"Miss! Look at this beautiful hairpin! It will suit your fair hair really well!", Kiya proclaimed happily as she held up a sapphire hairpin crafted in the shape of a Phoenix.

Ai took a look at the hairpin, it was truly as beautiful as Kiya mentioned and the craftsmanship was indeed one of quality. She was just about to purchase the item when a nasally voice called out.

"You must be that highly acclaimed Miss Shizuka! I'm Miko Yamato, from the house of Magistrate! We had seen each other once at the annual ball!"

Ai Shizuka's hands froze in mid-air. Miko Yamato... Her love rival from the previous life. Miko Yamato has violet eyes and matching purple hair that flowed down her waist in soft waves. She has a delicate doll-like face and large doe eyes that fooled men into buying her innocent facade. But in reality, Miko is a cunning fox in disguise.

In her previous life, there were very few households that could match the influence and intellect of the Shizukas and Yamato household was one of them that could rival them. Miko Yamato had vied for Jin Omaru's attention as well and constantly fought against Ai on numerous occasions, both underhandedly and out in the open.

Ai had a feeling that the downfall of Shizuka was largely orchestrated by the Yamatos and Ai wouldn't be surprised if Miko was the ringleader all along.

Ai Shizuka turned her body away in aversion. She was in no mood to deal with such kind of fox and honestly, if Miko's objective is to obtain Jin Omaru, Ai would even send him to her with great fanfare, very gladly. She couldn't be bothered with a man like Jin and would rather that Miko kept him all to herself.