9 - Playdate

Sage paced around her room nervously.

What she assumed was a message from Brayden, but sent from Leon's phone, had been the beginning of a conversation.

But it was also the end.

She didn't know what to say after that.

She was not good at texting by any means, so she was really struggling to come up with something to say. After she had responded, her mind went completely blank. Sage wasn't even sure how she had come up with something so quick only seconds ago.

If only she could do that again.

She tried to settle on her bed as she flung herself onto the blanket covered mattress, landing on her stomach softly. The many pillows and fuzzy blankets comforted her while she struggled to talk to her new friend. She felt really out her element with Leon. Sage was not a leader, she new that. She would gladly follow another person's lead, but when it came down to her instigating things it was like trying to understand a foreign language. She didn't know the right things to say or do, what was normal or wasn't. She was trying to navigate things, but it was like her internal friendship compass was broken. Unfair.

Sage tried to distract herself from the situation. Maybe all she needed was a little bit of time and something would come to her. Or maybe Leon would answer her message and she wouldn't have to do anything at all. She hoped for the latter. Oh, how nice it would be if things just worked out.

To her complete and utter disbelief, things actually did work out.

Within the next few minutes, another notification from Leon had popped up on her phone's screen. She was shocked, to say the least. Perhaps Leon cared more about the friendship than she had given him credit for. If only she could stop jumping to conclusions and just let things happen. Things would be so much easier. Sage was worried about coming up with something to say when she didn't even have to.

The joys of being an overthinker.

She really needed to figure out how to go with the flow a little better. Right now she was like a big dam in the middle of a river. Most definitely not working with the flow of things. She took a deep breath and opened the message with a mix of excitement and nervousness. It took her a moment to focus on the text and completely process the words she read from the screen.

So what's up?

It was a simple message. She stressed for a moment about how to answer. What was up? Deciding to simply be honest, she answered him quickly.

Idk, just kinda chilling in bed

She pressed send and resolved to mess around on her phone while waiting for a response.

At Brayden's house, the two boys hovered over Leon's phone, trying to decipher the latest message together. Of course, Brayden had suggested saying something dirty, but Leon just gave him a look. He wasn't some kind of fuckboy. Instead, Leon took a more unexpected route, even surprising himself.

You should put some covers on if you're so cold lol

He sent the message, hoping she would get his crappy joke.

Sage let out a snort as she read his latest message, and responded quickly once again. The conversation somehow seemed to flow between them easily after that. Her once boring night had now improved a little bit, and she was happy that Leon seemed to be a little more talkative now. Sage was so grateful that things appeared to be back on track with their friendship. She had never really been friends with a boy before so she was treading on new waters.