epilogue

{ edited }

"Darry, we are coming over for Thanksgiving tonight," Ponyboy says into the phone. "Set one extra seat though."

"Why's that? Are you bringing a friend or something?"

"You could say that," Ponyboy says into the phone. "It's a surprise. Just set an extra spot, please."

"All right, little brother," Darry responds. "Will do. Now, see you at six?"

"We'll see you at six," Ponyboy confirms.

- small time skip -

Ponyboy holds Zachory close as he and Johnny walk up to the door of his old home. The older male opens the door.

"Hey y'all," Ponyboy calls. "We're here!"

Soda looks up from the dining room table but quickly tilts his head at the boy in his arms. He stands up and walks over.

"What's with the kid? Who's kid is he?"

"He's actually Johnny's and I's son," Ponyboy says. "He was in a situation like Johnny's and... We took him out of it. We adopted him. Say hi Zachory."

"Hi mister," Zachory says, wiggling out of Ponyboy's grip.

The small boy hugs Soda's leg and his heart warms. He carefully picks up the small boy.

"Stevie, look at this," Soda calls.

Steve, Soda's boyfriend, comes out of the kitchen from helping and walks over. He looks at Zach.

"This is Zachory," Soda says. "Their son."

Steve smiles a little and ruffles the small boy's hair gently. Ponyboy smiles and watches as the rest of the gang slowly surround them.

After a little bit, Darry walks out to say dinner was done. He sees Zachory and smiles a little, tilting his head.

"Ponyboy? Was this the surprise?"

"Yeah, Darry," Ponyboy says. "Meet your nephew... Zachory."

Ponyboy lifts up his son and hands him to Darry who carefully holds him up. The male couldn't help but instantly love the little boy.

"He's your son," Darry asks. "Why didn't you tell me about him?"

"He was adopted on short notice. His parents abused him like Johnny's did... We took care of him for a while and we fell in love with the kid. So, we adopted him and now he's ours."

"That's a good thing you did for him then," Darry says. "You saved him. I know you and Johnny will take good care of him."

"We will, Darry. We will," Ponyboy says.

Darry looks at the boy in his arms and smiles warmly, softly petting his hair. He presses a gentle kiss against his new nephew's forehead.

"Welcome to the family, little guy."

-  -  -  -  -

How was the ending??

Sorry that I had to end the story but they all gotta end at some point! Thanks for reading!