Prelude

Warning to all readers: This story will contain smut, violence and other mature themes that one might find in a Game of Thrones episode or book. Do not read if you are under 18.

Deep in the northern mountains of Westeros, lies Shadowrise, a magnificent castle home to the Katermals

Deep in the northern mountains of Westeros, lies Shadowrise, a magnificent castle home to the Katermals. It's peaceful here, hardly any visitors – both friend and foe – are willing to make the long trek through the mountains. It was cold, which did nothing to encourage guests but didn't affect the Katermals. The Katermals have ice running through their veins. That was why their banner is ice; they can survive the harshest of winters without a shiver, that is if you believe the legends.

Lord Aberam Katermal spent most of his youth as a ward to the Bolton family but returned home when his father passed. He married Jalina who soon gave him a beautiful baby boy, Maricus. His childhood friend, Roose Bolton, sent a letter nearly a year later with news of a child of his own.

Three years later, Jalina gave birth to twins. Aberam was overjoyed when he heard one of them was a baby girl. He and Roose would be able to unite their families one day. He immediately sent word to his friend that a betrothal was possible. When the twins turned four, Roose brought Domeric to meet his future wife. No sparks were set off, but they were children, it would have been strange if there had been.

Jalina had given birth to another boy, Darron, named such to honour the man that had raised both Roose and Aberam.

Everything was perfect for the two families. But war is a dangerous time filled with uncertainties.