Just The Beginning

EDEN BATAAR WING IN LOS ANGELES TO

                                                   INTERVIEW FOR BATALLA ENIGEERING POSITION

          He and Julian are in town.

                                                                                        ***

            I see two other people headed in my direction. I stop in my tracks. Then I frown and peer closer at the street before me. I’m still not sure of what I’m seeing. But, I know it’s a pair of young me, and I take closer observation of them.

            My heart begins to beat rapidly, cutting through the heaviness that weighs on my chest. Julian and Eden.

            I keep my head down as they draw closer. Remember, I tell myself. We’re out of his life for his sake. Don’t mess it up again.

            But from the corner of my vision, I see Eden notice me first, and a quick smile appears on his face. Shit!

            He flickers his eyes to his brother, and now Julian casts me a look. Oh great!

                        We pass each other without a word. My lungs feel like they might burst, and I take a few breaths to steady myself.

            Then…I hear footsteps behind me. The sound of hurried boots against the pavement. I pause, steel myself, and look over my shoulder.

It’s Julian.

            “Excuse me,” he says. Oh, that voice! It makes me shiver. It’s deeper and gentler than I remember. “Have we met before?”

            For a moment, I’m at a loss for words. What do I say? “No,” I whisper. “Sorry.”

            Julian frowns. I catch a glimpse of something shiny on his finger. He still wearing the paper clip ring I’d once gave him. “Oh,” He finally replies. “I’m sorry to bother you, then. I just… You look really familiar. Are you sure we don’t know each other from somewhere?”

            Julian’s face is serious now, and his gaze is intense that I could feel his warmth. I see pieces of memories, scattered, and broken, but they are there, in his eyes. Pieces of us.

            “It’s you,” He whispers.

            “Is it?” I whisper back, my voice trembling with all the emotions I’ve kept hidden for so long.

            “I hope so,” he replies softly, “To get to know you again. If you are open to it. There is a fog around you that I would like to clear, because I’ve been searching for something for a long time for something I’ve lost, and it might be you.” Don’t cry. Resist the urge. God! Why does this hurt so much?!

            Then Julian reaches out, and touches my hand with his. He encloses it in a handshake. Even his soft touch, makes me quiver. And, just like that, I feel the pulse of our bond history and love. The feeling brings tears to my eyes. Perhaps we can take a step forward together.

            “Hi,” he says. “I’m Julian.”

            “Hi,” I reply. “I’m Daniella.”