Chapter 1

The man holding Harmony was startled and lost his grip when she suddenly shifted. With a ferocious snarl, Harmony launched herself at Thomas, her claws extended and her wild eyes blazing with an untamed ferocity. In a heartbeat, Thomas transformed into a powerful gray wolf. Years of practice had honed his shifting ability, making him fast.

The wolf's powerful jaws snapped, and its claws tore at the juvenile cat. Despite her small frame, Harmony fought with all her might, her claws and teeth tearing into the wolf's thick fur. She landed several hits, leaving bleeding gashes across the wolf's chest and front paw. Despite her brave efforts, she proved no match for the old wolf. Thomas's years of experience and sheer physical strength provided him an enormous advantage. With a final, brutal swipe of its paw, the wolf sent Harmony flying, her body crashing against the wall with a sickening thud. Thomas stood triumphant, his chest heaving from the exertion. The battle concluded, and the victor was clear. The small, unconscious cat shifted back, revealing Harmony's human form draped in stillness. Harper, held captive by John's strong grip, let out a heartbroken shout, her body thrashing in a desperate attempt to break free. She was determined to reach out to her sister and help her.

Meanwhile, their mother began to stir, her body slowly regaining consciousness. With a groan, she pushed herself up, her maternal instincts flaring to life. She felt an urgent need to protect her daughters, no matter the cost. The third man, who had been standing by the wall the entire time, approached her and viciously punched her in the face several times again.

Harper awoke abruptly, sitting up with a start, her breath ragged and her body drenched in sweat. As she blinked away the lingering fog of sleep, panic briefly gripped her upon taking in the dimly lit room, still dotted with unpacked boxes in the corner. Gradually, her surroundings registered in her mind—this was her new home, and it marked her first night here. Reassuring herself of her safety, she realized it had been some time since she'd experienced such a vivid dream, though in truth, it was not a dream but haunting memories.

With a clenched jaw, she rose to her feet, making her way to the bathroom where she flicked on the light. Standing before the mirror, she met her reflection, a face both familiar yet foreign—a visage born from the scars of her past. Closing her eyes, she drew a deep breath, feeling the simmering darkness within her begin to stir.

In her mind's eye, she summoned the faces of those she had lost, along with the shattered dreams left unfulfilled. Then she thought about the people who were responsible. The people who had torn everything she had loved away from her. And she felt it. She wrapped it around her heart, and she felt her soul catch fire. She embraced the pain, the darkness. Because there was only one thing left to live for now.

Revenge.

Harper awoke well before dawn, the first rays of light barely kissing the horizon. She worked out in the backyard for a couple of hours, running through exercises Brian had teached her. After many years of workouts, it took a lot to bring the burn into her muscles. With unwavering determination, she threw herself into each jab, kick, and flip, pouring every ounce of energy into the movements until she'd broken a real sweat. Slacking off wasn't an option. She had to keep pushing herself, keep stretching the time before fatigue started to set in. She never knew how long she might need to keep fighting or running, and a second's weakness could mean failure. A.k.a. Death for her. It was a dangerous world out there, and the only way to ensure survival was to be the most dangerous thing in it.

After showering, she slipped into a comfortable ensemble of jeans and a T-shirt, pausing to assess herself in the mirror. Running her hand over her clothes to ensure they lay just right, she tilted her head to the left, studying her reflection intently. Most of the time, she found herself content with her appearance. With her ample hips and slender waist, along with a decently sized bust, she possessed a figure that garnered attention, evoking carnal thoughts in others. Yet, this attention conflicted with her innate desire to remain unnoticed. She liked being practically invisible.

Since the incident five years ago, she had become increasingly closed off and guarded. The fear of forming attachments, only to have them torn away, loomed large in her mind. This fear manifested in her reluctance to make new friends, even during her time in her previous hometown and while living with Janet—she perceived it as too risky. Janet said it was stupid and that she couldn't be closed off from people forever, because it wasn't healthy. She got that it was weird - she was weird - for just wanting to be on her own all the time but she was content this way so she didn't let her words get to her.

***

She stood at the threshold of her new school, Eastbrook High and glanced at her watch, her first period would start in thirty minutes. Her cat was on high alert, looking for any potential threat, her tail whipping back and forth. On most days, her cat was aloof and independent, only seeking out the company of others when it was absolutely necessary—usually when touch hunger hit. She did not like to form attachments.

Harper possessed a duality of soul, sharing her being with an opinionated, slightly narcissistic, and fiercely independent cat. When she allowed her cougar to emerge, the cat favored warm, comforting settings, frequently seeking the embrace of a fluffy blanket in front of a window or sunbathing on a warm rock, where she could observe the world before her. The cat also loved prowling through the woods, feeling the ground beneath her paws and the wind rustling through her fur, or rolling around on the grass, feeling the soft blades tickling her fur and the sun warming her after a refreshing nap.

The insistent ringing of her cellphone jarred Harper from her thoughts. She quickly retrieved the phone from her bag, her gaze falling upon the familiar caller ID. A wave of warmth washed over her as she recognized the number.

"Hey, Janet," she answered with a small smile.

"Sweetheart, I just wanted to wish you all the best for your first day at school."

"Thanks, how's Pop doing?"

Janet signed, her voice trembling slightly. "His condition is worsening, dear. The doctors are doing everything they can to keep him comfortable."

A pang of sadness pierced Harper's heart, even though these days her emotions were often muted and distant. But with Brian dead, Janet and Pop was all she had; Pop was Janet's father, battling terminal cancer. Janet had moved in with her dad last month to care for him and make his final months as comfortable as possible, leaving 18-year-old Harper to move to Eastbrook alone. Janet was her mother's best friend, the woman who had taken her in five years ago and who had helped her and raised her as her own. After... No. She would not think about it now. She needed to focus.

"I'll come and visit soon," Harper said.

"No, honey," Janet countered softly. "It's a four-hour drive, and he's not fully conscious most of the time. I'll let you know when it's time. Now, Harper..." Janet paused, her voice trailing off. "Are you sure you want to do this? You've worked so hard to forget."

"Yes, we've talked about it," Harper insisted. "I've made up my mind, and I'm not backing down."

"Okay," Janet said reluctantly, "I don't like it, but I understand. How's your cat adjusting to her new environment?"

"She's on high alert," Harper replied, "anxious to scent-mark everything and also fascinated by all the unfamiliar smells." Undeterred by the unfamiliar surroundings, Harper's cat had embarked on a mission to meticulously scent-mark every tree within a hundred-meter radius of their new house. The home was shared with two other roommates—a hawk shifter and a human raised among a wolf pack. Mountain lion shifters like Harper were few and far between in that area.

Janet laughed. "I miss you, honey. I wish you would have moved with me to Pop's house and let go of this revenge plot," she said. "You could have finished high school here."

"I miss you too, but I have to do it." Her cat was in full agreement.

"Okay, call me if you need anything; you know I will always be there for you. Love you."

"Thanks, bye, Janet," Harper ended the call, never saying "love you" back.

She did love Janet, but it was hard for her to say it. Her cat was pacing in distress, her fur bristling with anger and resentment at the memories and pain of five years ago, memories that haunted her every waking moment. Her cat wasn't present; she had not yet emerged at that time, but she knew it all from Harper's nightmares and memories. The cat, her protective instincts raging, wanted to lash out at those who had inflicted such pain on her human. This time, her cat would not be held back; she would emerge if needed, and she would guard Harper with unwavering ferocity.