Chapter 2 - The Power of Confidence

~ Chapter 2 ~
Liam

Confidence. I straightened my posture in the mirror, brushing back my hair. Confidence is the most important trait in Everest's future CEO. If you doubt yourself, so will everyone else, my father had said.

At first I had disagreed – the most important trait should be a good knowledge of the company, shouldn't it? – But over the years his words had proved themselves as I repeatedly got ignored by the employees under me who thought they knew better. Faking confidence got me the job of head physicist, and now it was going to get me the job of CEO at Everest Incorporated.

I straightened my tie and tucked the package under my arm, taking a deep breath. I pushed open the bathroom door and began the walk down to the elevator. As I passed through the auditorium, I caught a glimpse of vendor tables being set up for the gala... The gala where my project of several years would be unveiled to the public for the first time – AKA the most important day of my life. My future as CEO would be determined by the success of my project... so basically, I had less than 5 hours to get it working. To say I was freaking out would be an understatement, but no one would ever know that because I was confident.

I raised my fist and knocked on the door to my father's office. "Hey dad? I've got something for you."

It was a few seconds before the door slid open and I nodded to his assistant gratefully. "Morning Sasha." She gave me a smile of greeting as I passed her. As I approached, my father got up from his desk.

"That's what you're wearing?" were his first words, and the speech I had come up with on the way to his office suddenly disappeared from my mind. I looked down at my vest and dress shirt, confused. It was probably the most formal thing I owned, and also the most expensive. Was it really that bad?

"Uhh..." I cleared my throat and made sure to fix my posture to look more intimidating. Confidence. "It's called fashion, not like you would know."

He looked me over suspiciously, wearing his $3000 Armani suit, and I regretted the words.

"Um... What I meant to say was-" So much for confidence.

"You said you had something for me?" He cut in, changing the topic.

I shifted awkwardly, gripping the package tucked under my arm. "Yes! Er... This."

He took the rather large rectangular box and carefully tore off the paper wrapping. I bit my lip as he looked over the framed painting distastefully.

"How much did you pay for this?"

I crossed my arms, ignoring his question. "It's my portrait. To go in the front hall with all of the others when I become CEO. I even got it engraved with my name, just like yours."

He sighed, setting the painting against the wall next to his desk. "You're twiddling your thumbs again... and slouching."

I looked down at my hands, which I hadn't realized were clasped in front of my chest. "Umm..."

"Look, I would hate to put Peter in charge of the company, but if you can't stand up to authority, you're never going to survive in the business world." He pressed a hand to his forehead, visibly frustrated. "Liam, you know I value your intelligence as an important asset, but if you want to be CEO you need to man up. Your brother may be dumb as a rock when it comes to the technology we make here, but he's a brilliant businessman. I sure hope the shine of your project can drown out the fact that you're socially incapable."

"Peter's gonna ruin our reputation, and you know that!" I spat, but dad just turned away, signalling that the conversation was over. I clenched my fists and slammed the door as I left the room.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Nov 19, 2018 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Septemberजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें