𝐕.

𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐎 𝟗 𝐀𝐁𝐘

𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐎
𝟗 𝐀𝐁𝐘

THE CHILD DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT WAS HAPPENING .

It was as if there was a game his two protectors had been playing ever since he woke; a mutual refusal to share a glance, an exchanging of hands, a stretch of tense silence. It had to be a game, of course, there was no other reason his protectors would be so despondent.

And even though she could sense his uneasiness, Tahl did not have it within herself to tell the child the truth. On the list of things she could not stomach, that was second only to looking at the Mandalorian at her side.

She hadn't looked at him since the Crest lifted from the dust of Arvala—7 and then even after they finally landed in the thick dark mud of Nevarro. Din had noticed, of course he had. He tried to convince himself that he was better for it.

The sooner this was all over, the better.

The market streets of Nevarro were the same as Tahl remembered — grim, loud, dirty, but she didn't bother with them. She simply kept her head down and her feet walking steadily beside Din as he guided her and child towards a future that none of them knew.

When a secret door down an unsuspecting alleyway opened, the child softly cooed and then two Stormtroopers greeted them with guns raised in Tahl's direction. The woman was unable to hide how she jerked away, and Mando sent her a cautious glance before the troopers led them on.

And when the troopers roughly jerked the cradle, Mando snapped, "Easy with that."

"You take it easy." The Stormtrooper hissed back.

When they entered the backroom, the client and the doctor waited, a disgusting light of excitement shining in their dark eyes. While the doctor giddily scanned the frightened child, the stuncuff dropped from Din and Tahl's wrists, landing with a firm thud between their boots. Tahl trembled, but her eyes didn't stray from their straight gaze ahead. Even though the weight had left his arm, somehow Din felt heavier without it. Without his connection to her, the promise that she wouldn't leave his line of sight was void. Nothing.