Injured

Words: 1746

Unedited.

Newt nimbly dove to the side as a large paw came raking through the dirt. A growl and snarl met his movements as he threw himself through the dirt and jumped to his feet, his wand flying out of his sweaty hands. 

The roars of the beast's heads sent Pickett scrambling up Newt's jacket and into his hair in an attempt to hide. Eyes darting to her friend's wand discarded in the dirt, Newt's companion, (Y/n), bravely called out in order to get the beasts attention, drawing it's focus from the man who reached up to sloppily relocate a certain small, green creature from his hair.

"C'mere!" Loudly She yelled, stealing it's attention. Her eyes widened as three snarling heads spun in her direction, the canine's hackles straight up in the air as it whipped towards her.

"(Y/n)-" Newt cried. "Don't! He's already startled- anymore loud noises-"

"Then why are you yelling at me?" She objected, throwing herself into a clumsy roll over the ground in order to avoid a very large paw that tried to practically smack her straight out of existence. With a huff, she spit out the dirt she had gotten in her mouth before her eyes darted up just as the beast made a leap to pounce on her.

"Newt-!" She found herself screeching, barely managing to roll to the side and scramble to her feet. Newt barely managed to shove Pickett safely into his pocket before clambering over to his wand. He scooped it up with a lazy hand before (Y/n) darted towards him.

The beast was hot on her heels, however, as (Y/n) bowled down Newt, they both yelled as the three headed dog's jaws snapped at their feet.

Quickly struggling to their feet, the two glanced at each other before turning their gazes to the creature. Both their eyes widened, before (Y/n) burst into action. The beast rushed towards them, paws flying and an angry glare in its eyes, lashing it's paws out and sending slobber everywhere. 

Reacting quickly, (Y/n) began to shove Newt out of the way, trying to move both herself and the man from the giant dog's path before teeth connected with her shoulder. Newt watched as a screech left her lips as the dog threw her across the room. A sickening crunch caused the man to reel back and a wince to cross his face as his companion slammed into a nearby tree. Her body tumbled to the ground, limp as she laid curled in the dirt, unconsciously curled around her new, raw injuries.

The cracks of her body replied in his mind for just a moment, before Newt drew in a sharp breath. He watched his beast wheel around to face him. The dog's heads lowered threateningly as it snapped it's jaws at him, blood mixed into the drool dripping from beneath the middle head's tongue. The canine's hackles were so stiff in the air they seemed to tremble at the effort.

Eyes still darting to the precious girl on the floor, he muttered, "That's it." Lifting his wand, he had a hard glare in his eye. He understood this animal had been abused- the scars running down it's side proved it- but the way it lashed out and attacked was reason enough to put it under a sleep like trance.

"Immobulus!" Newt shouted, and before he could even blink the animal slowly crumpled to the ground, automatically filling the case with the rumble of it's snores. And yet, the earth-shaking breaths still seemed quiet compared to the loud growls from before.

Without a second thought, Newt rushed to (Y/n)'s side. A worried breath left his lips as he looked down at her. Kneeling beside her frame, he took in all the blood that was slowly seeping from the obvious, ragged teeth marks that had torn through her shirt.

Deciding he needed to act fast, he swore under his breath followed by a quick apology to the girl. Sticking his wand deep inside one of the wounds, he muttered a healing spell.