Bayou (Modern)

Unedited.

Words: 734

As they gaze at each other, chests hurting from laughter and bright smiles on their faces- (Y/n)'s hand inches closer to Newt's. His smile faltered slightly from pure shyness, a blush hiding his freckles from view. Quickly, however, her hand moved to snatch up her phone, and she rolls onto her belly. The carpet scrapes against her skin, and Newt can't help but chuckle and roll his eyes.

"If only you'd put the phone down," He mutters softly, reaching out to gently poke her in the side. Squirming away from him with a squeal of a laugh, she lightly giggles and glances at him.

"I will! I will," She claimed, biting the bottom of her lip and scrolling through her phone even faster. Finally, just as he sighs at her actions, she finds what she was looking for with an excited gasp and immediately hits the 'play' button.

Without really thinking, she slides the phone across the floor away from either of their reach. Newt watches her phone go, before turning his gaze back to her, and running a hand through his own hair to soothe his running thoughts.

"There," She mutters, a smile adorning her face. Then, for awhile, they stay as they are- simply gazing into each others' eyes. Neither of them really had the thought to glance away, and (Y/n) can't help but revel in the fact that she holds his full attention. Then, however, Newt suddenly wrinkled his nose, a judgemental turn of his lip making an appearance as he glances up at her phone.

"What song is this?" He asks, his lip still turned up. "I don't think I like it."

With a scoff, (Y/n) quickly reaches over to flick him on the shoulder, earning a chuckle and weak protest from the man.

"Alright- I can accept that. But, just imagine this-" She begins, wiggling into a sitting position. "We're not just randomly rolling around on a really old, smelly carpet floor. And the song- the song is being played through an old radio. But there's more than just that- there are birds calling, and bugs chirping all around us, water running- because we're in the bayou."

A tender smile slowly begins to rise on her boyfriend's face as he listens to her rattle off, her never ending imagination never ceasing to amaze him. He watches as she reached to grab his hand, gently giving it a tug and squeeze.

"And- and, we're sitting on our porch. We own a little house with a big ol' porch and big net hammock thing- and then suddenly, you remember I'm sitting right beside you," A small smile appears on her face, and slowly she shifts her leg over one side of him, straddling his stomach. But, there was no lust in her eyes- only affection. Yet, no matter her intentions, Newt's entire face began to turn red. His heart was pumping so hard he thought it would beat it's way out of his body. For a moment, he thought he couldn't handle it, but then she kept speaking, drawing his attention away from their position.

"And I lean down to you, closer than you ever remember me being before," She softly continues without hesitation, her smile only growing. "And I let my lips hover over yours so, so teasingly."

She was only speaking her actions now- her hands creeping up his chest to gently rest on his temples. Just as he was about to reach up and cradle one of her hands with his own shaking palms, the world around him begins to shift. By god, she's doing it again- that magical thing where she can make him feel and see what she wants him too. Anything, everything is so real- nothing around him looks fake..

And now he clearly sees it- not just her hovering over him, a bright, loving smile on her lips, but a world where there are trees with long, weeping branches covered in some sort of moss. The music, it really is coming from an old radio with seemingly ancient knobs and buttons. They're curled up together in a hammock on a large, wooden porch. A glass of lemonade sits a few feet away, and a lizard catches his eye as it darts away.

"God, I love you," He mutters without thinking, still taking in the world around him. And all the while, his girl is still looking at him. His amazing, wonderful girl, his entire world, looking at him as if she can hardly believe he's real.

"I know," She replies with a hearty giggle, a breeze blowing across his face and gently leading his lips to hers. He's blushing again, he knows he is, but he doesn't care as a soft sigh leaves her lips. 

Soft lips against soft lips, it's not a special kiss. Not the kiss itself, anyways, but the scene around them- that's what makes it wonderful.

They awkwardly pull away from each other, blushes on both their faces. The girl is so distracted now, that she can't keep the illusion up. The world fades back to the lame carpet floor. But, as Newt nervously pulls her in for another kiss, he doesn't seem to mind.

Suddenly, he jerks away, his nose wrinkled, and grumbles, "You have to turn that music off. It really is awful."

His ears are met with a loud laugh, and suddenly she's clambering over him to reach her phone, quickly pressing pause.

(A.N. This was based on a moment I had with my S.O, I have nothing against Hozier- although, apparently my boyfriend does //insert eye roll emoji here\\)