Chapter 2

A cool breeze swept through the open balcony overlooking the courtyard. Leaves had a subtle orange hue today. The warmth of the sun heated only skin deep on King Edwards. He placed his hands on the smooth stone railing and peered over at the training below.

Evangelica, Kerian's daughter, spared with General Hycut. The pair clashed swords with improving grace as they went. For the last sixteen years, her laughter was all the lit the cold silent halls. She'd grown up to be a stubborn, skilled, and strong-willed woman. Just like her mother. The thought no longer hurt, instead, Edwards just felt cold inside.

Kieran strode up beside him and glanced to the courtyard. His long black cloak dusted the stone floor. As usual, he wore lightweight black leather armor. Ever since the night his wife died he was always battle ready.

"It is odd to teach a woman swordplay," King Edwards remarked.

"Mages need to be well equipped and independent, no matter if they are a man or woman," said Kieran.

Swords clashed making a metallic clang echo across the courtyard. Their attention focused back to the pair below.

"Elbows up," General Hycut snapped.

Ev corrected herself and swung towards Hycut again. Her form was still rough, and she lacked grace. She wore a leather chest plate over a long blue tunic, leather bracers that were too big for her, and brown leather boots over her tights. They didn't have armor made for her slight frame and curves.

King Edwards had thought of making her armor, but deep inside he did not want to encourage the matter. Julia, her mother, was a battle mage. The fiercest women he knew. And that got her killed. He lifted his head, making sure his face was blank of emotion.

"It is gracious of you to allow General Hycut to take time from his day to train my daughter."

"It is good to have him in different situations," said Edwards in a flat tone.

"I want her to handle anything that will be thrust upon her. She..." Kieran trained off.

An unspoken understanding passed between them through their bond of friendship, grown over King Edwards entire life time. Ev, one day, would take her father's place as royal mage, and he doesn't want her to get killed.

It was a painful notion that Edwards also shared. If Kieran would fall tomorrow, Ev would take his place, and she was far from ready.

"My King!" came a scream from the far side of the courtyard. A messenger boy rushed in and tripped as he tried to bow. "My King, there are reports of Orcs raiding villages near Heartwood."

"What?" King Edwards snapped.

"Orcs have not entered our lands in ages," said Kieran. "Are you sure?"

The boy nodded. "Other messengers have seen this with their own eyes."

General Hycut looked up at King Edwards. He had only one dark eye, and a black patch over where the other was. "My King, shall I dispatch a squadron?"

"Yes, and ready my horse. I shall ride with."

General Hycut bowed and put his fist to his chest.

"My King," said Kieran, "if that wise?"

Edwards raised a brow. "You question a King's duty to ride with his men when his people are in danger?"

"No, my king."

Edwards and Kieran turned to go in the castle.

"My King!" called Ev.

Edwards glanced to the side. Kieran had stiffened, and his jaw tensed, showing his displeasure at his daughter's intrusion. Edwards turned and looked back down.