iv.

The boardwalk at night was truly a beautiful sight that I figured I would never get used to. Even after living here for nineteen years of my life, I still found the bright lights and streets teeming with people of all backgrounds one of the most interesting things to see. You would walk past girls in bright pink with blonde hair pulled back, high heels stuck on their feet, and then you would pass by another girl only this time wearing a flashy all-black outfit with her hair spiked and messed up in every directions. Boys ranged from cocky surfer boys that loved to terrorize people to goth-punk ones who would kneel so children could touch their jackets. Everyone came to Santa Carla, it seemed.

My eyes ran over everyone easily, taking in everything with wide eyes. It seemed that I barely had time to be out on the boardwalk anymore, and it was crazy to me every time.

Marko still had his arm around my waist, and I was slightly thankful for it because there had been a few times where I had forgotten what I was supposed to be doing and tried to walk off in a different direction. Thankfully, he was there to pull me back, laughing every time about how 'I paid less attention than Paul.' I'm guessing I'll be meeting this Paul, and we can zone out together.

I leaned a bit against Marko as I heard a voice call out his name. I turned to see the three boys from the other night, though I hadn't been able to truly take in the other two.

One was another blonde while the other was a brunette. The blonde seemed to be the most confident as he leaned against the railing of the boardwalk, not paying the slightest attention to us. He had a mullet of sorts that looked unnaturally blonde, almost like the tips of my hair were. He was wearing all black and multiple layers. He had on a t-shirt, a leather jacket, and then either a tuxedo jacket or a trench coat, I couldn't tell. He was also wearing a pair of jeans and tall boots like the blonde from before's.

Next to him was a boy who was darker than the others like he came from native American descent. He wasn't wearing a shirt at all, but he wore a black leather jacket, jeans, and boots like the others. A tooth from an animal dangled from his ear, and I took note of the fact that all the boys had an earring dangling from their left ear, something I hadn't even looked at earlier.

"Marko!" It had been the blonde from the second night who had called out. He was grinning ear-to-ear, and he opened his arms. I could make out a joint lit in his hand that seemed to be on its last leg. "Where'd you go, dude?"

Marko grinned and hugged me closer to his side before letting go completely, pushing me towards the guys in front of us. "I went to go get this girl right here."

At that sentence, the leader looked toward us and locked eyes with me. He faltered for a second before a smirk slid across his face. "And who might this be?"

"I'm Evangeline." My voice was so quiet compared to Marko and the blonde's at the moment, but it seemed that the leader was a bit thankful for it. He probably had to deal with them yelling quite a bit, it seemed.

The blonde laughed and pulled me forward, throwing his arm around my shoulder like Marko had done before. "That's quite a mouthful. You got a nickname, girl?"

I shrugged. "Not really. People just call me Evangeline."

Marko scoffed and crossed his arms. "Excuse you. I have been calling you Angel!"

"You've called me Angel twice! I didn't think it'd be a recurring thing. I'm sorry," I retorted, rolling my eyes a bit, laughing so he knew I was joking.

"Angel's cute. I can dig that." I rolled my eyes, turning to the other two who hadn't talked much. The brunette seemed to be analyzing me, his eyes roaming over every inch of me, though I couldn't find it in myself to care. I wasn't sure what he was looking for, so I ignored it. The blonde was watching as well, but he seemed a bit more amused, the smirk still on his face.