First Choice --Part 4--

Mafumafu's P.O.V.

My chambers hummed an uncomfortable silence as I quietly worked on papers. Documents scattered all around my study desk, barely leaving space for anything else like my laptop. Congress sent in bills that they want me to review. How exciting. Their asses have been around for like 300 years already. Not in a literal 300 years, but I mean a long time. All they do is sit and come up with potential laws that I am pretty darn sure would unsatisfy my people. They're old and conservative. Their term is eight years, and they were elected when my father still had the throne. I wonder why he chose them to be candidates.

My father. How would he have handled such people?

How would he handle such tragedy?

My mind flashes back to the devastation of the suicide bombing a few days ago. An eerie sight, a pungent smell, a bitter taste. He was a very efficient man, for he had skills in handling things in the blink of an eye. While I, on the other hand, am struggling to even balance two plates on my head.

The thought of those innocent people and their mourning loved ones ached my heart. I didn't want my people to feel this sorrow. This event must have dissatisfied their view of me.

King Mafumafu, Lord Protector of Cosmo, fails to do his only job.

What would my father have done? I stare blankly at the sheets on my desk. A tear ran down my cheek as I can do nothing else but feel worn out and useless for the thousandth time.

Knock, knock, knock.

Someone was at the door. I hastily wipe away my tear and clear my throat. "You may come in, close the door behind you" I say, not looking at them and keeping my head facing my work. "State your name and business."

I hear them walk closer to me. "Good morning, your majesty. General [First Name] [Last Name]. I came to check on you, to see how you were doing."

I look up to her gentle voice. Her eyes glittered in the dim room I was situated in. (I swear I have to replace that light bulb to LED or something.) She had a gentle smile and sympathetic eyes. Her posture remained in tact despite this sleepy, morning hour. With a flick of her loose hair as she tucked it behind her ear, she prepared herself to listen to what I had to say. 

The permanent frown I had turned into a lightening smile. "I wish I was doing fine."

"You wish? How so? What's bothering you?" Her smile disappeared and became one of worry, "If, you're willing to share."

"Have a seat," I offer. I stand up and pull her a spare chair, adjusting mine so I can face her. Our knees were close to each other. She thanked me while I prepared my thoughts. "I have a question to ask you, [First Name]."

"Okay. Ask away."

I sighed. "Am I a good ruler? Do you think I am doing enough for this kingdom-metropolis?"

The general's eyes widen at my question. "I believe that you are a good ruler, a great one, in fact. Why are you asking?"

"I'm asking because I'm asking. Do you think I'm doing enough for my people?"

"Yes, you are. If you are implying the question of how perfect of a ruler you are, then I'll say that no one is truly perfect. If you don't think that you're doing enough, just remember, your people decide that. No one is rebelling against you right now, you satisfy them." Her hands move as she speaks. I am bewildered at her arguments. For once I feel like I'm almost convinced that I may not be as bad as I thought. "Let me ask you this again; why are you asking?"

My lips purse in a straight line. Should I tell her?

Yes. I have been holding it in for a long time.

I make a bold sense of eye contact with her. "I'm truly asking this because I think I may never be as good as my father." I pause, waiting for an answer from her, but she remained silent, ready for more of what I would say.

As I continued to discuss to her how I felt like, my mind and heart felt lighter. I was taking all the load off my shoulders just by talking to her. Sharing my feelings with her. In the past I have considered talking to the Lieutenant or Commander about how I felt, but for some reason, I got uncomfortable to even imagine it. But, the General had a different effect on me. I felt more comfortable with the subtle sharing. Maybe it was because she looked and promised an open discussion. Or maybe it's her... charm.

"Do not compare yourself to your father. He is King Luz, whilst you are King Mafumafu. The only things that relate to you two are blood, heritage, and birthright. He did what he had to when he ruled, that's what made him great," she pointed a finger to my chest, calling out my heart. "Now you should do what you have to do, to make yourself greater."

"But, what if immediately I-"

"It will take time. Everything takes time."

"Yes," I respond as I look down at our knees placed closely. "Yes. Just like how it took you some time to become my general in the cabinet."

I thought hard.

"Then I'll take the time to become your king. Also, the king that my people need."

"See? You may not be aware of it, but you are doing more than enough for your people."

I glance up and look at her, locking our gaze. I reach for her hand and held it. 

A smile of determination swept across my face and it amused her as she smiled too. 

~~~

Your P.O.V.

Walking down the halls, away from his chamber, I cannot help but think about the king. I have never seen the king in such a state. His emotions were like a roller coaster of good and bad willingly combined. He was vulnerable in the time I was with him, I'm glad that I helped him.

His gaze, his touch, his warmth was unlike any other. My heart started to beat quickly just thinking about it. I smiled at myself. 

No.

I shrugged it away.

It was against the law to fall in love with Mafumafu.