First Choice --Part 5--

Soraru, Kuroneko, and I have been summoned for a follow-up meeting in the same classic conference room. We have a surprise to show the king, a conclusion to all the mishap that happened about four months ago. It took a shorter time than expected, for we braced for a six month research and interrogation period. We were proud with the quick results, we even double and triple checked if the system wasn't glitched and if the information was accurate.

"I believe Kuroneko here announced that there was good news?" the King brightly mentioned after we initiated the meeting.

The Lieutenant stands up and happily pulled out a manila folder that contained a neat wad of paper and photos. Evidence and analysis. "The detectives and forensics have been working tirelessly and efficiently to bring you a conclusion to the suicide bombing of Plaza Del Sol approximately four months ago."

"Yes," the Commander speaks up. "The analysis made its way months before our predicted time, so we checked it more than once, so we can ensure that we and the people get the truth they need."

I can't help but nod. The smile on my face didn't even make my face sore. A genuine success.

Mafumafu was handed the folder and he opened it. Kuroneko sat back down as we started explaining what we have found, page by page, photo by photo. 

The king looked relieved and impressed. "Finally... these people can get the justice they deserve," he says. "General, please type up a letter of gratification we can present to the forensics team and the detectives. In the meantime, I will do my part and write a letter of condolences and relief for the families of the victims."

"Yes, your majesty, with pleasure." I respond.

"Kuroneko, please write a detailed report of out findings."

"Not a problem, sir."

"And Soraru," he continues. "We will email our reports to you and it will be your job to send everything to the media. The whole world needs to know who this douchebag is."

He nods. "As you wish, my king."

He sent us on our way. Meeting adjourned.

~~~

The suicide bomber was a rogue from the Astra military. Apparently, he does not just hate Cosmoans, he hates his own people. He loathed the mixed economy and he loved the army. He wanted war, war, and more war. He hated people of color, people of minorities, and that's what Cosmo is full of. We had the diversity he despised, and for some reason, his own country has dissatisfied him, too. He made innocent people die. Luckily, we were able to identify all of those people.

It never ceases to amaze me that people fill up their asses with spoonfuls of nonacceptance to people who don't please them. 

Unspoken of, but being done, I am personally delivering the condolence letters and the detailed report of the culprit to the families of the ones who passed. 

Twenty-seven people, twenty-three families. I felt so bad for them, yet, they needed the justice they craved for months.

~~~

Once I had finished my deliveries, the clock struck a quarter to four. I guess I have to head back to campus. My day was far from over. An exhilarating find doesn't mean immediate vacation. I breathe in deeply as I stepped into my car and exhaled when I started the engine. At this point I thought for a few minutes on how much I love-hate this job. I drove down the highways and side streets listing my feelings out. 

The smiles on civilians' faces, the stocks going up, Cosmo being safer than ever before are all my loves. Death, mourning people, tainted mindsets are my hates.

I wanted a job in the government because I wanted to make Cosmo a better place. At least I was doing the best I can. But my best doesn't get me first choice.

Twenty minutes later, I check my mailbox back at the headquarters' lobby and it contained  a couple flyers of takeout menus and a petite yellow envelope with the King's royal stamp sealing the flap. On the reverse side in neat cursive writing, it read, Read on your spare time.

I nodded as I hid the envelope in between the flyers and headed up to my office. My face felt extreme heat despite the cold atmosphere. I turned on the lights to see what was to welcome me. A homely space with pictures of my family, stuffed squishmallows, a floating display of the globe, and glittery plaques and trophies. Maybe I should add some LED flutter lights the shape of faeries. I sat down in the brightly lit room and woke up my laptop. Plugging it in, I checked my emails, read reports, and went to work. 

Two hours passed of non-stop papers and emails, I only had a few tasks left to do. I decided to leave those for tomorrow and cleaned up my workspace. I plopped down on my spinning chair and eyed the yellow envelope Mafumafu gave me. I scooted in and grabbed the mail-opener on my desk. Already taking out the parchment, I read the message inside with His Majesty's handwriting.

All over our Proud Nation,

We've survived a Revolution.

It's the fault of the Astrals in the Cosmos.

My  faithful mind proposes,

A deal made for all Cosmoans.

My target is to make an alliance with the Astrals.

~

And with you as my first choice, I will be entrusting you to travel with me.

Meet you at HQ Gardens @19:00

~

-Mafumafu [まふまふ]

I finished reading the message and immediately felt baffled.

Wait.

He said what!?