Snowball Effect (Camren Short Story)

I hope you all enjoy this new short story of Lauren and Camila.

Warning: Don't read at work or school... just saying :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The snow was coming down in a silent bombardment. A solid wall of white was all Camila could see from the large storefront windows of the department store, which took up the lion's share of the strip mall.

"Hey, Mila-Mila?"

The brunette's attention was snagged by her friend and co-worker of four years, Normani. "If Taylor calls, tell him I'm getting a ride home with Dinah. Though he may not be able to get through. From what I understand, cell phones aren't getting through this mess."

"You and DJ both are leaving?"

"Yep." The dark woman grinned, then shivered when she looked out the window again. "Wow. You can't even see the parking lot anymore."

"I know. Why doesn't the Boss Lady just let all of us go home? I think every other store around is closing or already closed."

"Hell, half the town is closed. Dinah heard on the TVs in electronics that we've already got more than a foot out there."

Camila chewed on her bottom lip, brown eyes riveted to the storm raging outside. Shaking her head, she sighed. "Well, you two be careful. Is she sending anyone else home?"

Normani shrugged. "Dunno. Talk to you later, Camila. We still on for this weekend?"

The brunette grinned. "If I can shovel my way out of my driveway."

Normani laughed, shrugging into her coat and heading for the door, where Dinah met her. Camila was wistful as she watched her friends leave. Sighing again, she turned back to her register. It absolutely blew her mind that some folks still came into the store. She wondered what the hell was wrong with them.

Her attention was grabbed by the familiar smell of the Boss Lady's perfume- light and delicate, yet not overly floral. Feminine. Sure enough, the raven-haired was walking toward her, green eyes hard and focused, as usual. Camila noted today the Boss Lady was wearing a navy pantsuit. Yesterday was forest green.

"Camila," she said, her voice void of any personalization whatsoever. She was business all the way. Seeing she had the brunette's attention, she continued. "I need you to stay."

Camila stared at her, blinking a few times. "But we've got a foot of snow out there," she pointed to the windows over her shoulder.

"You've been here the longest. I'll need your help closing everything down." Boss Lady left no room for discussion, turning on her high heel and walking away.

"Fuck!" Camila ran a hand through her hair, trying not to think about what it would be like trying to burrow through the white stuff in her small Honda. Especially when she saw two more of her co-workers heading out the door. Feeling frustrated and very angry, the brunette turned back to her register once more, doing her damnedest to not snap the next customer in line's head off. After all, if they'd stop coming into the store, they could close it!

As for the Boss Lady, she could kiss Camila's ass! She had been the store manager at Sayers' Department Store for the better part of a year, and Camila did have to admit- grudgingly- that she had turned the place around. She weeded out those who refused to do their share and had replaced them with those who wanted to work and had actual ambition. The store sales were up more than one hundred percent and had become the model store in its district. Boss Lady had done it all with a cool stare and carefully chosen words. Camila also had to admit- just as grudgingly- that the raven-haired had a certain charm and charisma about her that made you want to do her bidding despite any dislike.