Chapter Twenty-One

Books I Need to Purchase:

Dealing with Difficult People

What Color is Your Parachute?

Rethinking Friendship

My cell phone vibrated as I was renting a movie to a customer. I reached into my pocket and silenced it, looking for Walter. He had extra sensory perception when it came to my cell phone. And after yesterday when he was so angry at me for leaving work early (not to mention coming back late from lunch), I didn't want to antagonize him any further. He was already going to be unhappy when I slipped out for lunch early again.

Not that I cared. The hour I spent there yesterday made me feel so much better about everything.

The cell phone went off again as I finished with the customer. I wondered if it was Kevin or Art-they were both stalking me. Mom called me, but not as often since she and Dad were in Australia.

Ignoring it, I went to find Walter. He was, not surprisingly, in his closet looking at a magazine.

"Walter, I'm heading out to lunch."

He slammed it shut and glanced up guiltily. "Um. Okay."

I raised my eyebrows as I caught a quick peek at the cover. Girls with Guns? There was such a magazine? But I didn't comment on it since he wasn't offering any resistance today. "See you in an hour."

I walked out before he had a chance to regroup and headed for the clinic.

My phone rang again, but this time I checked it. My mother. Of course. "Hi Mom. How's Australia?"

"Your dad found the beetle."

"That's great." When Dad didn't find whatever rare insect he was hunting he always became less even-tempered, to put it mildly.

She sighed. "But it eluded him."

Uh-oh. "He didn't cause any international incidents, did he?"

"It was touch and go for a while. But I didn't call to talk about your dad's obsessions. How are you doing, honey?"

"Fine," I lied. "Just working."

"Working? I didn't know you were working again. That's wonderful."

Once she found out where I was working, it wasn't going to be so wonderful. Me working in a video store was going to set off World War III.

So I did the obvious: I used my current destination as a cover. "Listen, Mom, I'm on my way to the clinic and can't talk."

"Your father and I were worried about how you've been floundering the past couple months."

"Mom-"

"But your dad will be so happy to hear you're back on track. We can have a family dinner when we get back next week to celebrate."

"I'll talk to Mena," I said, crossing my fingers.

"I can't wait to hear more about your new job. What type of clinic is it?"

"Listen, Mom, I have to go," I said quickly. "I'll talk to you later, okay?"

"Sure, honey. I love you."

"Love you, too, Mom." I ended the call before I could trip myself up, only my phone rang again. Kevin this time. I felt the pressure of the conference deadline looming, and still I hadn't figured out what to do with my research.

I'd figure it out, I thought as I shut the phone off and walked into the clinic. Just not right this moment.

"Coast is clear," Dee said when she saw me.