Chapter Twenty-seven

per·suade [pər-swād'] - verb

1. to induce to undertake a course of action or embrace a point of view by means of argument, reasoning, or entreaty.

There were any number of ways I could have reacted to Gray suddenly showing up at my home. Given my getting fired, Kevin being in town, and Mena's lecture, I decided anger was the easiest.

I stood up-on the couch because he was taller than me and I wanted to have the advantage in the situation for a change-and pointed at him. "You are the devil incarnate."

Gray just smiled. "I love how you always tell me exactly how you feel. It bodes well for our relationship."

"We-" I waved my hand between us "-don't have any sort of relationship."

He lifted his brow, and in his eyes I saw the time by the lake.

My cheeks flushed. I cursed myself for that moment of weakness but I met his gaze defiantly and told him without words it was never happening again.

Mena cleared her throat. "I think I'll head home to Rio now and let you two, um, discuss things."

"No." Glaring, I pointed at her. "You stay where you are."

She snorted. "Or what? You're going to beat me up?"

"I'll tell Mom I saw you playing doctor with Sam Hutchens in the tree house."

"We were five years old. That's what kids do." She turned to Gray. "See if you can talk some sense into her."

"I'll try my best, but she's stubborn."

"That's an understatement." Mena grinned. "But I have faith in you. Anyone who can get under her skin in less than two seconds has skills."

They laughed together and I stood on the couch, boiling on the inside. Partly because they'd excluded me and partly because I felt a touch jealous. Logically I knew Mena was completely devoted to Rio, not to mention that I did not want Gray. But I couldn't make my emotions accept either truth.

"See you guys later. Much later." Mena waved over her shoulder as she turned to walk back downstairs and out the door.

"Wait," I yelled after her, stepping up onto the couch's armrest. "You can't leave me here alone with him."

"Sure I can. I'll be gone for hours. Make good use of the time," she called up the stairs, right before the door slammed shut.

I growled at Gray. "This is your fault."

"That your sister left?" He nodded. "Yeah, I can claim responsibility for that."

"No. Everything is your fault." Hands on my hips, I glared at him from my elevated position. "Charles broke up with me. He said you and I had sparks. That's your fault."

"I can't believe you were stringing him along in the first place. That's just cruel, and you don't seem like a cruel woman." He moved closer. "Slightly deluded maybe, but not cruel."

"Get away from me." Holding my hand out, I backed up until I balanced on the edge of the armrest, by the back.

He reached for me. "Daphne, come down from there before you fall."

"I said stay aw-oh." I slipped.

Gray lunged forward and scooped me up in his arms. Holding me tight against his chest, he looked down directly into my eyes but I couldn't tell what he was thinking. That I was a lunatic? That I was more trouble than I was worth and he should have let me fall? That he wanted to kiss me?