Chapter Two: Evidence?

After our short lunch break, we started to look through some evidence (With gloves of course.) A phone, could the killer have called her before he murdered her? Unlikely- but possible. I picked up the phone and turned it on before flipping to call history... A call was made around the estimated time of death. I passed the phone to John for him to take a look as well... 

   He nodded, reading over the number once more before passing it back. "Can we trace it?" He asked 

"I think so." I said putting the phone down "But you know I was never a computer genius" I joked, it was true... Computers were not my thing. 

  He chuckled before picking the phone back up and putting it back into a bag "I'll bring it to the lab, and they can figure it out." He said walking away.

 There I was, left with just me and my own thoughts. So many things to think about... John... I missed him... But I knew I was going to when I broke it off with him, would he take me back? No... I don't think so... Why am I thinking about this? I'm supposed to be working... I should stop... I really should stop- 

 My thoughts were cut off by a knock on the door. "Come in?" I said, not knowing why anyone would be here. 

 My friend, Susan walked in "Hey, Lia?" She said walking over to a chair and sitting down.

  "What are you doing here Susan?" I questioned, curiously. 

  "I just wanted to check up on you." She assured, "Why?" 

  I raised an eyebrow "You don't just SHOW UP at your friend's job" I crossed my arms. 

  She shook her head and rolled her eyes "Well you might not, but I do." She sat down in a chair and looked around the room. "So how DID you get this job anyway?" 

  "You mean as a police officer? I filled out an application," I said sitting down across from her "It's not THAT cool." 

  "Yes, it is!" She objected. "Its a lot cooler than being a waitress, trust me." 

  John walked into the room once again, this time with nothing in his hands. "Whos this...?" he asked looking at Susan then back at me. 

 "My friend, Susan... She was JUST leaving" I stood up quickly. 

   Susan shook her head "I was not." She opposed. "I'm staying" 

 John nodded "She can stay, we need someone to break the ice." He half smiled. 

 "We need to work" I protested, walking over to the door and opening it. "I'll go by your house this evening Susan" I assured, sometimes I swear she acts like a baby. 

  Susan groaned before walking out of the room, slamming the door behind her. 

 I have no idea why she came here, but I had a feeling it was NOT just to check in on me. Well, either way, we were alone now. And I was happy about it, which was weird... Happy to be with my ex? Since when?... Since now...