One

"We're so fucking dead if we get caught." Jonah whisper shouted as he glanced around the corner of the dark corridor. "My Nanna will literally skin me alive."

"She won't skin you, Tryniski." Travis sighed. "She loves the living hell out of you. The possibility of her severely harming you, on the other hand, is extremely likely."

"Not helpful, Trav." Jonah hissed back.

"Will you two cut it out." Ethan scolded quietly. "You're gonna get Alex caught."

The boys fell silent as they peered back around the corridor. Alex was about a hundred metres ahead, picking the lock to the janitor's closet. He was grumbling to himself as he worked, silently cursing out Jonah every so often.

"Alex, hurry up!" The muffled whine sounded from the other side of the door. "The bleach is making my head spin!"

"Almost done, Gray, I promise." Alex soothed, the lock starting to give a little.

Jonah perked up at the sound of footsteps. He spun around and saw the beam of a flashlight painting the other end of the hall with light.

"Someone's coming." He panicked quietly. "We have to leave."

Ethan and Travis spun around, noticing the light. "No time," Ethan spoke. He turned back to Jonah and Travis. "Into the closet."

The three boys moved as quickly and quietly as they could towards Alex who was still knelt before the door, picking the lock.

"Hey, Alex, do you think you could hurry it up?" Jonah rushed out, still panicking. "Someone's coming and we can't stick around."

"If you hadn't locked my sister in the janitor's closet and forgotten all about her, we wouldn't even be here in the first place," Alex growled, glancing to his right and noticing the flashes of light against the wall and the footsteps that kept getting louder.

The lock finally gave and Alex stood, wrenching the door open. Grace's face was flooded with relief until all four boys rushed into the closet, the door clicking silently behind them.

"Ow, that's my foot!"

"Jonah! Get your elbow out of my ribs!"

"Shit! Watch what you're doing!"

"Where's the light switch again!"

"Shut the fuck up!"

The closet fell silent as the five of them waited for the footsteps to pass them by. The beam of light flowed under the door as it passed and the footsteps faded away.

"That was close." Alex sighed after a few moments.

"Tell me about it." Ethan chuckled, slowly opening the door and making sure the coast was clear.

"Ow, Grace! Quit slapping me!" Jonah yelped.

"Why should I! I've been locked inside this damn closet for nearly five hours!" Maggie spat. "And if you hadn't broken my brother's phone two weeks ago, I would have been free ages ago!"

"She does have a fairly solid point." Travis agreed as he followed Ethan out of the closet.

"Again. Not helping, Trav."

Grace stopped slapping Jonah's shoulder and strode towards Alex, dramatically draping her arms around his neck, heaving a sigh. "My knight in shining armour. You're so brave and noble. However shall I ever repay you?"

Alex's face scrunched up in disgust as he ripped his sister's arms from his neck and gently shoved her towards the exit. "You can repay me by never saying any of those things again."

Grace and the others laughed making their way out. Ethan slung his arm around Alex's shoulders as they walked out, Jonah and Travis bickering as Grace kept trying to step on the back of Jonah's shoes.

--------
-----------

The lecture Alex and Grace received from their mum when they arrived home last night was horrific. She talked for an hour before Grace finally got the chance to explain that it was Jonah who had locked her in the closet in the first place. His lecture wasn't as long but long enough to leave its mark.

Ethan and Jonah were lounging lazily on Travis' sofa in his apartment. His parents had taken off on a business trip, leaving Travis all on his own. Alex had his head buried in one of his textbooks while Travis was hard at work on his laptop, slowly pulling together his physics essay.

Jonah gave a heavy sigh. "Why must the both of you be so boring."

"We're not boring," Travis smirked as he tapped away at his keyboard. "We just have work we need to do. Unlike some of us, we don't want to drop out in our senior year."

"Who told you I want to drop out?" Jonah retaliated. "When did I say I wanted to drop out?"

"If you two aren't going to shut up then I'm gonna leave." Alex spat. "I have a test on Monday and if I fail I'm holding the both of you personally responsible."

Ethan snorted as Jonah and Travis rushed to blame the other. "He fucking started it!" They exclaimed in unison.

"How did I start it?" Travis hissed. "You've been kicking me with your foot since you sat down."

"It's not my fault you're just so damn kickable." Jonah shot back.

"I don't care who started it, I'll finish it," Alex warned. "Keep your limbs to yourselves."

Ethan stood abruptly, reaching next to the couch to retrieve his backpack. "It was nice hanging with you ladies, but I need to get home. Dad's home for the week."

"Well, alrighty then." Jonah smiled. "Tell him I said hi."

Ethan nodded his head and began to make for the door.

"Hold up, Ethan," Alex called, stuffing his textbook back into his bag. "I'll give you a lift home."

The boys erupted into laughter as Alex tripped over his own feet as he stood. He flipped them off as he scrambled back up and towards Ethan.

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Alex." Jonah sang as the two boys went to leave. "It has a bit of a mean streak."

"Fuck off, Tryniski."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, gals and fridges!

Welcome to the first official chapter of Shits & Giggles! I don't really count the prologues as the first chapter but it's whatever.

I am so excited to share this book! I've been planning it out for a good month or so and I'm ready to post updates on a regular basis! Which will be on Friday every TWO weeks. This book isn't my main focus. Raised By Humans and I'm Still Your Son are what I'm devoting my time to at the moment so I do apologize in advance if this book is sometimes neglected!

Thanks for wasting your time on me!

~Daxton🌈