Chapter 4

Mikayla grinned from ear to ear. Slowly, the sun began slipping behind the horizon, the sky beginning to illuminate with a fiery orange glow. "Amazing, let's get going!" Mikayla laughed, practically dashing to the register. Ramona reached out, grabbing the fabric of mikayla's skirt, and pulling her back forcefully. "You are not wearing that dress tonight. You look like a cheap version Raggedy Anne. We're going to stop at home, and grab some more things." Ramona scolded. Mikayla rolled her eyes with clear and utmost annoyance, silently mocking her sister before tearing back the fabric from Ramona's fingers, returning on her journey to the register. Ramona followed quickly behind her.

    Bucky turned his head, smiling down at Steve. "See? I told you that I had a good feeling about this double date." he teased, poking steve in the ribs playfully. Steve rolled his eyes, stuffing his boney hands into the pockets of his brown slacks. "As much as I enjoyed third wheeling you and Ramona, I don't think Mikayla is exactly...for me." Steve explained, casting his gaze from Bucky, to the large window, perhaps admiring the glow of the setting sun. Bucky nodded his head, a chuckle leaving his lips. "You'd  have an asthma attack just tryin' to keep up with her." he joked. That statement earned him a jab to the ribs, Steve's elbow making harsh contact between his bones. "Ow!" he exclaimed, rubbing his side before laughing, "I'm just playing steve, they seem like real fun gal's, maybe we've just made some new friends." Bucky stated, a gentle but faint smile setting on his lips. Steve was about to include a sarcastic comment about Bucky's original intentions, but was soon cut off by the sharp voice of Mikayla.

"Hey, slow pokes, are ya' coming?" Mikayla called, a paper bag clutched in her right arm, slightly resting on her hip. Bucky and Steve hurried themselves along, following the girls out the door, the little bell bidding them goodnight. 

   The four friends made their way down the almost empty streets, the sky darkening by the minute. The night would brighten with the stars. as they reached the townhouse, Ramona shooed mikayla upstairs, urging her to change into something less atrocious than the dress she had on earlier. As mikayla came stomping down the stairs (clearly annoyed that she was forced to change) ,ramona's face lit up with a smile. "You look beautiful! This ensemble looks much nicer than the tablecloth you had been wearing." she laughed, nudging her sister playfully as they headed outside, where bucky and steve had been waiting for the sisters on the front steps. Mikayla was dressed in ebony, high waisted shorts and a simple white blouse tucked into the waistband. An over sized beige trench coat (which once belonged to their now deceased father) was slung over her left shoulder. Bucky couldn't help but stare. "Wow, Mikayla, i never would have guessed you had it in you to dress so nice." he teased, to which mikayla responded with by kicking him roughly in the shin, causing Bucky to groan in pain. After he had not-so-sincerely apologized, the group had made their way to the (thankfully empty) city park. 

      Steve took the first seat under a large maple tree, watching as the sun finally collapsed behind the sea line, a large quarter moon and many glimmering stars illuminating them. oh the stars, how Mikayla loved the stars. Mik fell back into the dewy, and slightly overgrown summer grass, sprawling her legs in front of her. "Hey, Ramona, will ya' hand me the strongest thing we brought?" She asked, laying her arms behind her head, almost as a makeshift pillow. Ramona sighed, handing her the bottle of the dublin whiskey. Mikayla took a swig, and passing the bottle to Bucky's outstretched hand before laughing and wiping her lip on the back of her hand.  "So, anyone got a deep dark secret to share?" She asked, looking around at the others, a smirkish grin still on her face. No one responded, and Mikayla coughed slightly to fill the silence, before sitting up and turning to her sister. "Hey, you get ya' numbers yet?" She asked, and Ramona shook her head, eye's casting downwards. "...Numbers?", Steve asked, his brows creasing together.

 "Ramona works as a Nurse over at the New York Methodist Hospital. They need her over at a base camp now that we've joined the fight, we just don't know which one." Mikayla explained, the corners of her lips turning downward into a frown as she glanced at her sister, who was quiet. Steve followed Mikayla's gaze, looking over at Ramona, who's eyes had been glimmering with concern and fear. "I won't find out for a while, but as frightening as it is, i hope it's soon, i want to help the survivors." Ramona added, forcing herself to smile slightly. Bucky sat in silence, questioning wether or not he should mention his enlistment to the army. He decided against it. He turned his head, and instantaneously noticed the unreadable look on Mikayla's face as her little sister discussed leaving for the war. He knew they where close, and could guess that it truly hurt her. "I think enlisting is a good idea. You're doing a brave thing, goin' along with all this." Steve smiled, putting a hand on Ramona's shoulder. She smiled at him, a light blush falling over her cheeks. Bucky decided to change the subject, and the look on Mikayla's face vanished as soon as he did.

       "I've got an idea." he stated, catching the three's attention. "Obviously, we are terrible dates, no offence, i did have a wonderful time today, though." he said, and Ramona smiled. "Anyways," he continued, "how bout' we make a pact? The four of us go on as many adventures as we can before Ramona is shipped off to a base." He offered, a grin on his face. Steve looked up at Bucky, knowing he had included himself in the last part, although didn't say it out loud. "Why, That's the smartest thing you've said all day, pal'." Mikayla Laughed, raising the glass bottle of whiskey. Ramona nodded, raising her wine to Mikayla's drink. Bucky lifted his own glass, joining their toast. Steve chuckled, grabbing his cup as well and touching it to the others, a soft 'clink' being heard.

        Bucky grinned, before speaking once again, "And if we happen to fall in love along the way, then so be it!" he stated, Before the four of them drank in unison, this 'pact' of theirs finally formed.

       "Okay, wait a moment- can you rephrase that? before I end up falling in love with my sister..." Mikayla asked, teasing Bucky. Ramona choked on her drink, spitting strawberry wine into the empty grass beside her, soon erupting into a fit of giggles. Steve let out a chuckle, Bucky resting his face in his hands. He looked up, smirking at the sassy woman in return.

        "Not exactly what I meant, Doll."