Chapter 10

Bucky's arms were folded over a rusty railing, his glimmering eyes staring past the metal bar that had separated the land from the sea. He watched the waves and the ships move on their journeys, a dying cigarette hanging between his lips. A little ways down the dock, a young violinist played Clair De Lune. The setting sun cast glowing shadows on the dock, and Bucky sighed softly, the cigarette slipping from between his lips, before descending into the ocean, the glowing orange tip disappearing in the cold waves, just as the sun over the darkening horizon. 

        He had received a letter earlier that day, 'Sergeant Barnes leaving for the 107th at 6;30 am, October 17th'. Along with it was a package, carrying his military uniform. That meant this would be it, the beginning of the end. Yet before he was sent off with the others to fight, all he had asked for was a chance to confess, a chance to leave without having to take anything with him to his cold, dark grave. A chance to tell her.

        Bucky glanced towards the water, his eyes cast in shadows, blinking back stinging tears. He let out a soft sigh, watching as the last glowing embers of the sun faded into the sea, the night sky beginning to glow with the pale light of the stars.

'I'll tell her tonight, as soon as i find her...' He thought, his eyes softening as he slowly turned his head, only to be greeted by the sight of a figure dashing in his direction. His blue eyes narrowed, trying his best to make out the figure in the darkness. As they got closer, he was finally able to see who it was, and his heart practically sank into his stomach, a lump forming in his throat as tears stung his eyes once again. A woman in a skirted trench coat scurried towards him, her chestnut locks, curled beautifully, blown behind her in the cool, ocean breeze. Even in the dark, he could make out her beaming smile, and it made him so, so sad. So sad to see something so wonderful- something so beautiful, something he would never have the time to have.

        "Bucky!" She cried out, not appearing to slow down as she neared. He knew it was her, although it didn't stop him from calling out her name. She slowed down, stopping quick and sliding a few centimetres before slamming gently into his chest, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist. He reacted by doing the same, one arm held around her shoulders, the other sweetly cradling the back of her head, holding her close to him.

"What are you doing here?" He asked with a light chuckle, to which she glanced up, their stares locking. the 'grand' entrance she had planned, but everything after that was not-so planned. Oh, how she longed to be able to express herself, yet the words to elucidate were lost somewhere on the way.

Mikayla stood there for a few seconds, staring at dark haired man, before collecting herself, trying to place her thoughts into a properly structured sentence.

"Okay...Do you know the stars?" She began, her gaze scrutinizing at the celestial bodies littering the void above. Bucky laughed softly, his silvery eyes glancing up. "Yeah, i know the stars." he mumbled softly. 

"Billions upon millions of little gas-infested rocks. What the hell is their purpose? Lights in the dark, maybe?" She continued, as bucky slowly looked towards her, although her glance did not follows his back to earth. "They make such beautiful pictures in the sky, but maybe not on purpose. Creations of the human imagination, able to string together a bunch of shimmering lights into little pictures of the most obscure things, you know? They've been admired for as long as people have walked the earth, and mean so much. They are each their own, with so much individuality for such huge, important things- but in a way, they still all connect, they're still all joined as one, and they light up the nights." Mikayla's voice dropped into a pensive, dream-like whisper. "And they are just amazing. But that's why I love them... People will depend on them to guide ships and decisions, they just mean so much to me and everyone and- and it's just you Bucky, you're my stars."