Chapter Five

My Mother did not hesitate to get the children into the wagon. The younger ones, Michal, Marie, Rose, Mia,Tina and Mathew were all secured tightly while everyone else grabbed their knifes and guns. It was chaotic and a mess but nobody had time to make any order, I glanced over at my sister, Poppy, the one that called out for help, she was talking to uncle mike. Thankfully I was able to listen In.

"Are you sure it was a vampire and not some random traveler?" He asked.

"I'm positive, I couldn't understand what language he spoke but-

"Wait, he tried speaking to you!" Uncle Mike exclaimed.

Poppy nodded her head.

"What kind of tone was he using? was he just asking a question? Did you see any fangs?"

It was a lot to take in, considering poppy was the one in charge while they were playing.

"He seemed like he was demanding us something, It might have been a question, and his fangs were clearly seeable from how close I was"

"Wait, Poppy, how close where you to him?"

"Well He came up to me" Poppy took a deep breath in. "And as I tried to figure out what he was saying I noticed he looked like the vampires from my textbooks. Then I slowly walked away and the others followed me." Her voice started to break. "We ran as soon as I was for sure he couldn't see us."

My uncle put his hand on her. "You did good." He looked off into the fog, where the supposed vampire was and then back to my sister.

"I want you to grab your rifle and go with the others and I. Now hurry."

Poppy nodded her head and went off to help.

It seemed like everyone had a weapon in hand while everyone that was below ten stayed in the wagon.

"Mother" I spoke, trying to get her attention.

She turned over to look at me in a state of panic.

"What weapon shall I use?" I asked.

She got down on one knee so she could meet me at eye level. "Will, I need you to stay here and look after your younger siblings." I could tell she noticed my disappointment. "Will I promise this is just because we need someone looking after them while we go, thats it, nothing else." She got up and hugged me tightly. "I know you'll do fine."

"Come on everyone!" She shouted.

I don't know what it was, but in the moment her cherry soap seemed to stand out to me. It relaxed me. I looked over at Mill and he was cleaning his knife. He approached me in a worried state.

"Don't worry, I don't think it even looked like a vampire. And i know you'll do fine." He gave me a side hug and ran off with the others, I was about to grab the rifle that mother had left me, but Jason stopped me. He leaned into my ear and whispered.

"You know Mom only wants you to stay here cause she thinks you're too weak to fight." He chuckled then left without another word.

I stayed silent. I stared into the ground for awhile, then got my scenes back together and grabbed the gun. I sat on the wagon's seat and tried to listen for anything approaching.

My older brother, Pollux, the one born just after Jason taught me how to shoot. He said I was rather good at it. I've only missed three times. And that was when I first started learning.

"Will are we going to be ok?" Rose asked, face full of tears.

"Of course!" I answered back with a large grin.