Chapter 1

"Y/n!" A feminine voice shouted from the downstairs kitchen, "Your father needs you! He's going to help the blacksmith from across the street and wants you to help! Says it'll make you better prepared to become leader for the village."

You couldn't help but be slightly annoyed at this. Your tired form was sprawled across your bed as you allowed a small groan to escape your lips. Your name was Y/n L/n and you were the daughter of this village's chief. It sounds great and gives you a lot of street credit, but you didn't like it that much. Your father was so hell bent on teaching you how to become the prefect chief because after he's done and too old to continue, you would be the next one in charge. He would use almost everything as some sort of lesson for you. Every time he went over to help some part of the village for whatever reason, he would drag you along with him to help. At this point most of the village was well aquatinted with you and your skills and believe that you'll make an amazing chief.

The only problem with this plan was that you didn't want to become chief of the village. You were more likely to be found sitting near the lake that was located not too far away from your home. Not many people went there since there was no fish or anything in it, but you loved the scenery. It was so pleasing to you and just being in that place allowed you to relax and take in a breath of fresh air without anyone forcing you to do something.

You had a younger brother who was similar to yourself, but unlike you he wanted to become chief. The only problem was that he wasn't the oldest. He was two years younger than you. He went with you to the lake all the time and would tell you majestic stories about dragons that used to befriend humans. Nowadays dragons terrorize human settlements and kill thousands, maybe even millions every year. Your brother, Dezmond, believed that not every dragon was like that. He wanted to search for that dragon and would do anything to do so. It was a crazy idea, but definitely possible. He's actually put a lot of research into the idea, something most call him crazy for. If you couldn't guess already, both you and Dezmond were somewhat considered outcasts. Thankfully not to the point where you were constantly bullied or anything, but enough where people weren't afraid to think that you were a bit odd.

As you walked down the stairs, your brother glanced at her from the kitchen stool before jumping off and joining her.

"Good afternoon Y/n," he smirked, "Mind if I join ya?"

You let out a small sigh at his question before shrugging, "I don't mind, I just really wish dad didn't have to do this all the time. It's annoying."

The boy huffed, "This isn't annoying! It's experience."

You rolled your eyes at this before flashing a smile at your brother, "Well unlike you, I don't want to become chief."

The boy shook his head in mock disappointment, "I really don't see why you don't Y/n. It's so interesting! Plus you're the one in charge of everything." The boy flashed his sister a toothy grin at the last part.

You began walking out of the house, but held the door open for your brother out of curtesy. After walking out of the house, you began walking towards the blacksmith's house where both of you would meet your father. They continued to talk as they walked.

"I don't like being in charge Dez." You sighed, "It's too much work, too many things to worry about. I would rather spend my time doing what I want to do, not what others expect of me. Plus, being the oldest child of the chief means that people expect a lot from me. Maybe even a bit too much..."

The raven haired boy chuckled, "Well I've been telling you and dad that you could always just make me chief."

You laughed along with him, "Trust me Dezmond, I would love that! I just don't think dad would approve. He's always been like that. So traditional."