What?

The sun shined in my eyes as I woke up from the whistle being blown by the man. I sat up slowly reaching for my book that was on the floor. I must have fallen asleep while reading because I don't remember as to when I did fall asleep.

I stretched and stood up making my way to my sink. I looked up into my mirror above the sink and cringed. My hair was, of course, a mess, I looked horrid. I breathed into my hand and my breath stank like dog shit, making me cringe even more. I was a mess.

I took my ponytail holder and wrapped my hair up into a bun feeling better about myself already.

"Druggie let's go!" I looked over at Frank staring at me. He was about 14 now and for as long as I can remember I couldn't understand why he hated me. He gave me the name druggie when I first came here.

I try to just brush him off, it gets hard at times. I mean I feel sad for someone who has been here longer than I have and for what. He's perfect, my scar scares people, him he looks ordinary. He's got the body of an athlete I bet if someone adopted him and put him in a sport he would make them money.

 The thought of that makes me happy for him, wish it would happen too. Then I'd have one less problem. Shrugging I began to brush my teeth.

I smiled up at the mirror. My teeth shined a tint of yellow and white and my breath was fixed. My hair I decided to keep up in my bun and my clothes were changed into my usual. Jeans and a baggy shirt.

 Walking out of my room and into the crowded lunch hall I took a seat at the bench closest to the door. "Okay, kids now best behavior and smile. Who knows maybe someone might take you today, and remember nobody likes the rotten kids." Miss Erick Came out in her high heels and tight skirt. Yelling directions at us as she does.

She's an ugly woman. Ms. blah blah blah is what I call her. Comes in here with her nose stuck in the air as if she was in any way pleasing.

I watched her as she walked to the front doors and as she did, Parents immediately began to come in and stare at the kids. Looking at us so carefully as if they were choosing what they wanted to it. Asking themselves question like, that one looks bad I don't want to try it, and that wouldn't sit well with me. Do I really wanna see what comes from that?

 I shake my head at the way they stare. We aren't deer in a forest. Please do not hut us.

I just sat patiently, waiting for one to look at me and when finally on would turn their head towards me, they would stare and instantly turn away. Leaving my heart to break more.

My patience and excitement, after an hour wore off it was pointless even being here. I wasn't getting chosen. I stood up abruptly and a tear ran down my cheek.

I just wanted to get out of here. I began to walk quickly to the back doors, I wanted to be back in my room right now. Tears were piling up fast.

Another pointless greeting I thought and shook my head and then hung it low so no one could see me cry.

"Uhhhh" I bumped into someone and it hurt real bad I looked up to see who it was and it was a lady. A very pretty one. I was lost at what to say.

 Sorry I know to say sorry but I was too ashamed and she could see my tears. How embarrassing. Stuttering out words I was losing it and tears poured out more. I was a mess.

"Honey, it's okay. It was an accident. What so ever is wrong" I looked up at the women who seemed to have talked to me. "Me?" she laughed and shook her head. "Yes, you what is your wrong and what is your name" She took a seat at a bench and with her hand she signaled for me to take one with her. 

I walked over slowly and took a seat. Wiping some of my tears away. "Your name and the matter that is wrong?" I took a deep breath and answered normally "Its Dawson and me uhhhh... I just.. Ummm....." I couldn't tell her what was wrong because she couldn't fix me.

Looking at her with silence on my tongue, she smiled big

"Well it's nice to meet you Dawson I'm Sherry Main, do you like it here Dawson?" I didn't know how to answer that. It was a shelter, not a home, but it kept me living, so I can't completely hate it, but I really do. 

Lost at words I shook my head no. She smiled again. She seemed to smile a lot and for nothing. I was confused was she gonna take me. No Dawson your silly to think that. My mind always verses my mind. It's a war I can't end.

"Dawson, I want you to come with me, would you like that?" My heart stopped. Did I hear her right? Was she. The war now paused. Soldiers froze and I was lost. More lost than I've been since I first bumped into her. Did she want me, did she really. Did she not see my face? "Yes," I slowly answered as thoughts ran through my head.

Sherry held out her hand to me and with slow movements, I took ahold of it. We stood up and walked through a set of doors I've never been in and then into an office. The office... I hadn't been in here since I first arrived. 

Sherry brought me to the front desk and got a form. She then signed and handed it to the lady. The ladies face rose up from the desk smiling but as she looked at me the smile was gone. She looked at me, then at sherry. "Mame are you sure you want him?" she tried to whisper it but I heard every word. It hurt.

Sherry scrunched up her face though and leaned down to my level "Dawson go take a seat right over there I will be right back." I did as I was told and watched sherry and the lady behind the desk walk over to the corner.

The lady behind the desk face fell as sherry pointed a finger in her face. She now looked awfully sick and sad as she walked back to her desk and took a seat. I wonder what Sherry said, but I wasn't too worried about it I was finally leaving and that was all that mattered.

After a couple of minutes, I was signaled to come back and sign some papers. When my signing part was done, sherry stamped a card, signed her signature once again and thanked the lady. She took my hand a squeezed it. "Let's go home" Home? This was it. I was leaving and to a new home. My war began again but this time it ended with a win.