Who is he?

She took me through the front doors and out into a parking lot towards cars. We stopped at a big black SUV and as she clicked a button she opened the back door for me. I slowly got in and buckled my seat belt.

She got in the driver's seat quickly after and buckled hers. We drove off right away and as I looked out the window I felt relief. I was gone. 

My stuff was still there! My books. I saddened and spoke quietly. "Will my stuff be thrown away?" Sherry shook her head no. "No dear those people will bring it to your new home." I smiled. This was it. I'm finally getting somewhere. My heart was actually happy.

We pulled up to a big yellow house. The long porch that wrapped around the house was beautiful and there were lilies and sunflowers everywhere.

 Pulling up to the curb she took off her seatbelt and turned to look at me. "Dawson I want you to know that you are going to meet some other kids. Kids that you will slowly know to be your sisters and brothers. Kid's I adopted just like you." I nodded making sure she knew I understood. She smiled real big this time and signaled for me to hop out. 

I did as I was told and waited for her to take me to the front door. "Come now Dawson" Following slowly behind her I was scared. Brothers and sisters. New home. Will I go to school now.

Sherry opened the door and stood inside my new home. "Dawson welcome home." I smiled and walked in. The house smells of peppermint and sweet sugar, not mold and the walls were covered in pictures of beautiful scenery, dogs, and kids.

"Kids?!" Sherry screamed kids and my heart dropped.

1 came running in and then another and then one had a baby and a boy walked in through another door. I counted a total of 5 and then a man came walking down the stairs holding another baby making it a total of 6 kids. 

He smiled brightly at me and giving the baby to Sherry he came and gave me a hug. All the kids just stared at me I felt awkward in many ways. Sherry walked into this huge living room and everyone followed. The man who now had my hand took me with him into the room and had me sit in a circle that everyone had formed. Sherry smiled big.

"Everyone this is Dawson! June will you start today?" A small girl with long red hair and freckles, eyes green and a hushed smile rose up. June I said in my head, June, Ima try to remember, ima try. "I'm June I am 6 years old I like hopscotch and puzzles." Then a boy stood up "Names Markus I'm 17, I love to write and play my guitar" He looked familiar. He had curly hair like mine, dark eyes and rosy cheeks. I tried to remember but I was puzzled. How could I know anyone here?

Another rose as I tried to think. "I'm Curtis I'm 12, I love my board and my art. Spray painting especially." This kid was blonde with dark eyes seemed sketchy sort of like Frank.

 A girl now stood up she had long brown hair with blue eyes. She clung to the sweater that wrapped around her and she had one of the babies attached to her leg. She smiled big and spoke quite. "I'm Trish, im 16. I like to read and I love fashion!" Fashion was exaggerated making it clear she loved it. 

She took a sit and then the man spoke. "I'm Clark I'm a psychologist I study the mind and body at times, the two little girls you see are Molly and Margaret. They are 2 and they love to get into things and cookies are their favorite." Everyone laughed and nodded along.

Shelly looked over at me and motioned for me to go next. I slowly stood up and watched as eyes traveled to me. "I'm Dawson I'm 9 I love to read and that's about it. I read a lot, ever since I could so really that's all I know." I sat down slowly. Silence hit the air for a while but not for too long "Everyone lets head to the kitchen. I think tonight calls for spaghetti! Sherry has a way of making everything exciting.

Everyone rose up and went into the kitchen. Starting instantly on the meal. I followed slowly behind, but someone grabbed me causing me to turn around quickly and shake. The mans face dropped. "Dawson I didn't mean to frighten you my boy" I took a deep breath. "It's fine sir I get a little shaken up is all." The man nodded and smiled "Id like to take you to your room. Follow me."

We walked through a room and up some stairs. Then down a hall and up more stairs. We then reached an attic room. It was white walled and had only a bed and dresser in it. "We wanted you to be able to decorate it for yourself so we left it blank. 

Tomorrow you and I are gonna paint it we have many colors in the basement for you to choose from." I gave off a small smile and thank him." I didn't know what to say. I feel like I'm dreaming.

"You can stay up here if you'd like to, or come downstairs with the rest. Do what makes you comfortable." I nodded and smiled, Clark smiled right back and then turned to walk away and just as I thought he was gone he poked his head back in the door. "Dawson" I turned to him once again "Welcome to the family." Then just like that, he left. I didn't know what to say. My head couldn't get around the fact that I'm here. I'm going to fall asleep and wake up back in the orphanage. This can't be true.

I took a seat on my new bed it was soft the moment I sat. I laid back and closed my eyes on it. If I was dreaming this will surely be missed. I dozed off feeling finally alright until my floor creaked, causing me to jump up. The boy the one that looked familiar came in with a plate of food. 

He smiled big and then took a seat next to me and handed me the plate. "Aye man I didn't mean to frighten you, just thought you'd like some real food. I remember being in an orphanage the food there is shit. I laughed at that. "Yeah, it's pretty bad. My people would force eat us. It was terrible. "The boy looked as if he was studying my features." I just had to ask if he knew me. "It's Markus?" The boy nodded. "That's right" I didn't know how to put it, but I tried. probably epically failing as I did, but I spoke: "Do I, you look Ummm, I look familiar or do I know you I.. I um don't mean to sound creepy." Markus just stared at me with big eyes. 

He looked like something just went off in his head. "That scar is from a cigar right?" I nodded and he cringed. "Look, Dawson, I a..." he was lost at words sounding like me. He continues saying ummmm over and over again. Then finally he spoke straight. "I'm sorry." he put his hand through his hair and a tear ran down his face. "I got to go man" He got up quickly and left, making me feel confused. He knew me and knew about my scar, but how. Who was he?

I ate quickly and carried my plate downstairs hoping to run into him again but as I walked through the whole house and down to the kitchen at last not once did I see him. I sat my plate in the sink knowing I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight only thinking was gonna get done. As I began to travel back to my new room, Sherry came up to me and gave me a hug.

"Dawson may I get you anything else. I know you like to read would you like a book?" I smiled big and nodded yes.

 Sherry smiled and took my hand. Leading me to yet another room. The room had tons of books everywhere and the girl Trish, I think, sat in a beanbag chair reading quickly, Her eyes turning corners every second. "Trish dear, will you help Dawson pick out a book." Her eyes stopped instantly and her hands moved quickly to save her page and close the book.

 She jumped up "Of course mother! Dawson what's your type we have mystery, romance. Father loves.... cooking books and mother loves romance. So we have tons of both. Curtis last year wanted horror so we, of course, have tons of that too. The boy is just spoiled. Worse part and sadly he still hasn't read any." She used her hands as she talked, she loves to exaggerate her words too. I just watched her and listen but mostly watched her. She was a lot like sherry.

She shook her head and rolled her eyes. Annoyance in her tone. I laughed I felt for her. The kids at the orphanage were always donated books not many at all took advantage of the opportunity.