Talking Turkey

I apologize in advance for the typos. I didn't edit this to try and get it out today ... okay, late today.

<><><><>

Lena Luthor has made a tradition of spending holidays at her desk. Her breakup with James makes it likely she'll be continuing this tradition. However, one sunny reporter with an even sunnier alter ego rides the elevator up to the top floor of the L-Corp building with an agenda.

Kara stops at Jess's desk, taking one coffee out of the paper carrying tray and handing it over to Lena's Executive assistant. The tray goes into the trash, and Kara carries a coffee in each hand as she smiles and nods at Jess who opens the door for her.

"Hey, you," Kara softly says as she enters Lena's office.

"Kara, what a lovely surprise." Lena smiles. "Did we have plans today?"

"No." Kara places down both travel cups she's holding, putting them on Lena's desk and adjusting her glasses. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something in person."

"Oh, I hope it's not serious. Is there a problem at Catco?"

"No, nothing like ..." Kara stops herself and picks up one of the cups, handing it over to Lena. "Here, this one's for you."

Lena nods and takes the cup. "How serious is this conversation? Should I make an Irish coffee out of this?"

"No, it's nothing like ..." Kara sighs, picking up her own cup and heading over to sit on the couch. "It's not bad at all. I was just worried you'd say no if I asked you over the phone."

"That sounds unlikely." Lena gracefully takes a seat near Kara on the couch, knees crossed as she smiles slightly over her cup and sips her coffee. "When have I been able to say no to you?"

Ducking her head, Kara smiles down at her cup lid. "It's about Thursday?"

"Tomorrow?"

"No, next Thursday."

Lena tilts her head to the side, waiting, and then realization washes over her face. She sits up straighter. "Kara, I think—"

"Please, Lena? You shouldn't be alone on Thanksgiving."

With a dismissive wave and a small chuckle, Lena sips from her cup. "I'm used to being alone on Thanksgiving. It's one of those peaceful days where no one calls or interrupts me. I can get a week's worth of work done in a day. I'm thankful for that."

"Lena," Kara scoots a bit closer, reaching out and placing her hand on Lena's free one, "you should be with family on Thanksgiving."

"Are you suggesting I go to jail?"

"Hey," she squeezes Lena's hand, "you have more family than that, you know."

Lena seems to consider that for a moment before breaking eye contact to stare out at the city. "Who else have you invited?"

"James won't be there."

Lena's head snaps back, and she offers another small smile.

Kara smiles back. "He's going back to Metropolis for the day. It's going to be me, Alex, Eliza, and a friend or two from work. Hey, Winn is even supposed to drop in. You and he always got along."

Lena nods, sipping on her coffee again and looking away as a little line creases between her brows.

"Lena, you can't keep hiding from your friends forever over this breakup with James. We want to be here for you."