Into The Rabbit Hole

A/N: I highly recommend playing the video above on loop to set the mood.

—————————————

The entire bus seemed to stir with excitement; kids whispering among each other and fidgeting in their seats.

(Y/N) didn't notice. She couldn't. She was overwhelmed by the suffocating feeling of pure evil. Her breath had caught in her throat, and she seemed to push herself against the back of her seat so hard that she might as well have been trying to break through the bus itself.

Cain chewed on the nail of his thumb, and only gave (Y/N) short side-glances every few moments. It seemed that he too was anticipating something.

The rattle and groans of the bus especially didn't help to calm the girl's nerves. It grew more intense the deeper they went down.

Not only that- but the entire bus seemed to get warmer, too. In fact, it had begun to get so uncomfortably hot that (Y/N) had to frantically throw off her layers of clothes and beanie until she wore only a tank-top and jeans, tightly fitting her curves.

Once catching a glimpse of (Y/N) without a puffy jacket- Cain couldn't help but do a double take. "You look hot."

"Yeah— it's really toasty in here," (Y/N) muttered, rubbing the back of her neck.

"Not what I meant, but, okay."

(Y/N) sent Cain a glare, folding her arms over her chest. She was too uneasy to focus on telling him off for any perverted comments. Nobody else seemed too affected by it, which made her all the more consciously aware about the unbearable heat.

Within minutes, the bus had been engulfed in utter, total darkness. The driver hadn't even his headlights on. What sort of tunnel was this ..? How deep could it go?

Lifting up her hand even inches in front of her face, (Y/N) failed to see anything but black as deep as the dimmest night. She shuddered, completely unnerved. She turned her head to the boy beside her, softly whispering out to him. "What's going on?"

Silence. In fact, it seemed that when (Y/N) wasn't paying attention, the other students fell into a deadly quiet as well, leaving her in what seemed like an abyss.

"Hey—.." (Y/N) anxiously bit on her lower lip, blindly reaching out to where Cain should've been. Yet, strangely enough, her hands met nothing but air. In fact, she couldn't even feel the seats. Was she sitting on nothing? It didn't make sense.

Her heart began to race against her chest like a bird in a cage. What was happening?

She rose up from her "seat", and began to walk forward into the nothingness, her anxiety only increasing. (Y/N) usually wasn't one to cower away from danger. Even now, she couldn't prove to herself that she actually was in immediate danger. Yet, she trusted her gut more than anything. And her instincts simply screamed that;

Something was not right.

Suddenly, she felt- not heard- a voice whisper and echo in and out of her mind. (Y/N) shuddered with absolute dread, gradually forcing herself to turn around.

There was a pit. Visually, it seemed ... about six feet across both ways. A dim, yet clearly blood red light emitted from what seemed to be the bottom of it (which one couldn't actually see). Was this where she was supposed to go?