II.

"You look like shit."

I glanced up at my best friend as she sat in front of me at the small cafè I was sitting at. This morning was no good. I had only managed to finish my essay last night, before completely passing out on my couch while sitting up. My Chemistry worksheet had only been half done and my design not even being started. On top of that, my alarm had not rang on my phone, so I had woke up three hours late, my first class already being finished and my second one about to begin in fitted minutes. My back giving me fits from sleeping on the couch, I only had enough time to slip on my clothes, - nothing matching mind you - quickly grab my uniform, stuff everything under the floorboard, and drive to class, having no time to even attempt to put on makeup or grab my contacts. Thankfully, the one thing that had cooperated with me was my truck and I managed to get to grab a coffee from Starbucks, arrive to class on time, - albeit looking like a second grader whom had dressed himself - and turn in my essay. I got one too many comments on my appearance and my no show to design this morning, topping it all off, I managed to spill my Caramel Macchiato all over my sweatshirt while writing my notes.

This - in conclusion - had been an absolute shit morning and all I wanted to do was go home, crawl on my bed, and sleep for the rest of my life. Thankfully, I had emailed my teacher, who had been kind and understanding enough to email me my work and assignment, as well as allow me to turn in my design tomorrow morning before her first class came in. So, here I was, at a small cafe just outside of campus, attempting to work on my design as I drank a black coffee, wishing hadn't spilled my Caramel Macchiato.

I quietly smiled at my best friend, who quickly ordered herself a coffee with cream and took out her phone. I hadn't seen Kirstin in a while, both of being extremely busy. Her, with her boyfriend, whom she had just moved in with, and me, with simply surviving. We use to see each other everyday, always finding time to be together, but moving to L.A. hadn't been quite what we expected and we were quickly whisked away with work, school and other things. However, Kirstin and I also found we disagreed on many things upon living in L.A. While she always wanted to go out and shop until she was in debt, I found I had more important things to work on. Meeting her boyfriend, her spending habits had become a bit worse, managing to hook an amazing job as a CEO's personal assistant and making more money a week than I would see in a month. She had no problem paying he bills, constantly reminding me of how well of she was.

Of course, she never did this intentionally, as I had never truly told her the extent to my struggles. She always believed I just had a few ends that needed tying up, never knowing how tight my budget really was. Due to this, she often tried to push me to go out with her and do things, not understanding I didn't have enough time to do all of that. Kirstin was my best friend, but she was much better off than I, and I often found it annoyed me.

"Gee, thanks Kit. Can always count on you to be there for me." Sarcasm spewed from my mouth as I took a sip of my bitter coffee. Despite sleeping in three hours, I was still dead tired, the bitter coffee keeping me just barely away.

"Sorry, it's just been forever since I saw you. Did you lose some weight, you look skinny.... really skinny." Leave it to Kirstin to point out the obvious. "And you have horrible bags under your eyes. What have you been doing? Have you been eating?"

"College budgets and working at a diner don't leave much money to spare." I sighed, removing myself from my laptop to talk to the blonde sitting in front of me.

"I keep forgetting about that." She sighed quietly and set down her bag. "Mitchy, you really need to get a different job. It's obviously not doing what it needs to do if you're this skinny."

"It's not like I can just quit, Kirstin. I would have to wait three weeks before I could start working. Three weeks with no money. Hell, I would be worse off." I almost wanted to smack my friend for being so oblivious. "And even so, what place is hiring and would pay me any better?"