#11

Another one. Anyways, notify me that you're using the story plot then you're a-okay to use it!
Set in a tech like world in which gaming is a center. (Kind of like ready player one but more focused on tech stuff)

(This is me indulging in social media au and gaming/virtual reality/tech stuff)

The game is basically free for all combat against each other in a rank system. The main two people have a large hand in the universes social media (Ex. Websites, fanpages, their own social media accounts etc.)

Two players are competing against each other to reach the top of the leaderboard. With sabotage happening left and right, they decide reluctantly on an alliance. Eventually they grow closer to almost be recognized as a team as they go higher to the score ladder. This conflicts with their aspiration of wanting to be on top. As they participate in advertisements and promotions which feature them as a pair, making their fan base recognize them as such. The frequent misunderstandings that occur force them to stay as a team. They secretly don't mind the team idea, while trying to hide this from the other. Eventually they reach the top and resort to registering themselves as an official team (making the internet go wild).

The fanfic can end here or maybe the rank 1 they're reaching is only one rank in many. (Ex. Rank 1 of bronze goes to rank 100 in silver). Or the reach an elite center against other teams and solo people. Instead of the rank system it could be a competition for a prize. There are many things you could do with this idea.