chapter 30

After you explained the whole story Lydia didn't say anything. She was in shock. She thought she knew Brennen since they were kids but she was wrong. "it's hard to tell who people really are. Nobody wants to expose their bad side" you say quietly. Your voice hasn't recovered fully yet. Especially after forcing it to work to yell. "sorry if you take this the wrong way but, you exposed your bad side. Why? Don't you wanna hide that like anyone else?" Jessi asks. You've become close over the past few days. "because I'm not afraid of people knowing i won't hesitate to hurt them if they hurt me first." you say. Jessi nods and stays quiet. "Well, you definitely need to use your voice more so it can recover faster. Especially for something bad like that" you nod at Nates input. 'A lot of damn nodding has happened since i met these guys. I had my reasons but they aren't mute' you think to yourself. "What are you thinkin' bout?" Ellis asks in a whisper so no one else heard. "how much we all nod more than we talk. Especially me for ovbious reasons but you guys. You don't ever stop talking" you and Ellis laugh.

That night you had a nightmare about Brennen. You almost never have nightmares even about the worst things that have happened. Why now? It was dark. It was rainy and cold. You were outside walking in the street because you love the rain. Of course Lydia told you not to go far. Dinner was almost done. But as you were walking someone grabbed you. You couldn't scream. You were knocked out. When you came out of unconsciousness you were in a room. Kryssie, Isabella, Emma, and Preston were chained to the wall. Bleeding out. Isabella and Emma were already turning. You look to your left. Your dad was being hung from the ceiling a chair under his feet.

"dad?" you cried out. "zoe!? You're alive! How did you get here?" "i-i don't know. I got knocked out." "knocked out? Only those who have died come here. Come to hell" he whispered the last part. "what do you mean? Am i dead? And in hell?" "we're all dead. Zoe. We all are. Im starting over. Im leaving this place. Come with me Zoe. Everyone over there is already dying. They'll meet us at the gates" "wha- what? Dad no you-" before you could finish a door swung open. In came Brennen. Your dad kicked the chair out from under him. You screamed in horror and pain. You couldn't move. You tried but you only got farther. You were being dragged by brennen.

Before anything else happened you woke up screaming and crying. You looked around and breathed heavily. It didn't take long for Ellis to jump out of bed and run over to you. "hey, hey what happened?" he pushes strands of hair out of your face. You explain your nightmare and he hugs you tightly. You hug him back burying your face into his chest and crying. Lydia,Nate, and Jessi also came rushing in. "what's going on? Zoe are you okay? Oh my god." jessi rushes over and sits infront of you. You didn't realize what she was looking at til you followed her eyes. You had scratches all over. "wha- what?" you say confused mainly to yourself. " what the hell happened?" Nate and Lydia walk over. Examining the bloody scratches. "she had a nightmare. She must of scratched herself up during it. Trying to escape or something." "what was it about?" you couldn't speak properly, not wanting to relive it so Ellis explains.

"Holy shit. Im sorry zoe. I'm not sure how to help you. If you need anything just let any of us know okay? Im sorry you had to experience that" Lydia says. She looks guilty that she can't do more other than offer emotional support. "thank you, Lydia" was all you could manage. "Of course hun" she weakly smiles. After a few minutes everyone leaves. Except Ellis of course. You lay down. He sits for a few minutes and assumes your asleep when you've kept your eyes closed. When he goes to stand up and walk to his bed you grab his hand. He immediately understands and lays down next to you. You both instantly fall asleep in each others arms.