Part II-- Aftermath

I saw a group of clones providing security for the spaceport and ducked my head, drawing my hood a bit further over my face. But I couldn't help but glance at them when they came near, couldn't resist reaching out towards them in the Force. They reminded me of the clones who'd fought with me, not just as soldiers but as friends. We'd always been discouraged from forming attachments to people, but how could I not? How could I stay so detached from those I risked life and limb beside?

I heard a low scuffle nearby. I glanced up to see two of the clones apprehending a Sullustan by the crowd. Not even a month before I would've stayed out of it, trusting in the clones' judgement and the Republic's justice system. But I could feel that the Sullustan had done nothing wrong. The Empire was new, but I felt certain that 'justice' was subjective.

I wasn't going to risk it. I stood, keeping my head bowed and instead reaching out with the Force to sense their movements. I followed on a diagonal as they dragged the Sullustan away, getting closer but not going directly towards them. I stopped by a sign, an advertisement for some kind of luxury speeder, as the clones disappeared into a security booth.

I gave them about five seconds to themselves to lessen suspicion, then hurried for the booth.

"I want to report a pickpocket," I told the clone on duty. "A human male, light brown hair, about two meters, a short scar by his right eye..."

Was I describing Anakin Skywalker? Yes. Was it juvenile and petty of me? Arguably so. Was I concerned that it was a sign of something that could lead me closer to the dark side? Somewhat. Could I think of anything else at that moment? No.

But I threw in a few inaccurate details, not wanting to be too passive-aggressive.

I knew the clone was annoyed, though his helmet hid it from physical view.

"Your report has been filed," he said in a bored monotone when I'd finished. "It will be looked into."

"But you need me to come in," I said, drawing on the Force to influence him. "Don't you?"

I added the last statement in the event that he couldn't be coerced, but my precaution was unnecessary.

"I need you to come in," he repeated.

He left the window, then opened the door to let me in. The minute it closed, I knocked him unconscious with a gesture and caught him before he could fall. I pulled him back to the duty office and stuffed him under the desk. He wouldn't be seen until the next time someone went into the small room. Then I followed the Sullustan's Force signature down a short hallway to a back room.

My plan wasn't overly complicated. I opened the door, and began speaking to the clone who was grilling the Sullustan about whatever he'd supposedly done.

"This is all a mistake," I said to him before he could get a word in to me. "He's a friend of mine, as law-abiding as they come. He didn't do anything wrong."

The clone glared at me through his helmet. "He was spreading propaganda against the Empire. Inciting unrest and rebellion."

"What?" I laughed. "Really? This place is as far out as you can get without actually being in the Outer Rim. Republic, Empire, do you really think anyone out here cares that much?"

The Sullustan was cuffed to the chair, and as I spoke I focused on unlatching the restraints. They fell away with a soft clank, and a gasp from the former prisoner. The clone turned to look, surprise and realization racing through him, and I took advantage on his distraction to summon his blaster to hand. I flipped it to stun as he turned back to me in time to receive a blast at point-blank range.

I turned and took the Sullustan by the arm. He began to say something, but I cut him off.

"Shh," I whispered. "Act normal."

He closed his mouth, and I led him out of the room. But as we were headed down the hallway another clone stepped out of what appeared to be a break room.

I stopped. He did, too. Despite his helmet, despite the uniformity clones were designed for, I recognized him through the Force. Clip.

The doorway was just behind him, with two other clones in the room. He could easily alert them, but he didn't budge. He glanced down at the Sullustan beside me for just a moment, but I knew he had put together what was happening.

"Clip," I breathed. "I'm sorry, I--"

"I know," he whispered. "Go."

He turned back into the break room.

"I almost forgot, you've gotta hear this," he said. He began regaling the others with a story from a few years ago, inciting a peal of laughter.

"Come on," I whispered to the Sullustan.

As I pulled him past the break room, I sensed another familiar presence inside. Dive.

I left the security room with the Sullustan, looking casual as though we had been there for a legitimate reason. Once we were out, though, I got more evasive. We were a good distance away before I sensed that Clip's distraction was over and our breakout had been noticed. I led him through a crowd, then on and off a speeder ready for departure before I judged us to be in the clear.

The Sullustan said something to me in his own language when I let go of him. I knew enough to recognize "thank you," but the rest was beyond me. It sounded like an explanation, but I stopped him before he got far.

"I'm sorry," I told him.

The Sullustan had just a second to look confused before I raised my hand. "You never got a good look at who helped you. You don't know who I am."

His eyes went unfocused. He repeated the coercion in his own language, but I was gone before he came back to himself.

It was another couple months of wandering the galaxy before I settled on a distant planet in the Outer Rim. No major trade routes were nearby, it was a far distance from Coruscant or anywhere similar, and its biggest reputation was for being of little interest and having little involvement with the Republic. That had carried over to the Empire, and therefore gave it a good appeal to me.

Weeks passed. Then months. Then over a year. I made a life there. I stayed distant from those in the nearby village. The Empire would come for me if they found out I had escaped, and I didn't want innocents to be hurt because they were accused of helping me. All in all, though, life was good, if a bit lonely.