eighteen

Yamato stared at the top of Kakashi's head skeptically. His eyes followed every drunken bob of silver hair ; he was drunk himself, but not that drunk.

Originally this meeting was to formulate a plan of attack. Tomorrow the two would be leading an eight man team to capture Itachi Uchiha in order to goad his younger brother Sasuke out of hiding. With the news of Kurenai becoming pregnant spread throughout the village's shinobi, Yamato was appointed the acting head of Team Eight while maintaining his duty of watching over Naruto.

They had spent the day walking through the village, planning between moments of reminiscing. They hadn't seen each other face to face for some time, after all, but the duration hadn't had much effect on their friendship. Yamato still held immense respect for Kakashi and was happy for the positive change he had experienced since being discharged. But he also found himself growing suspicious of some of the jounin's actions.

It started when he noticed Kakashi looking to the sky every now and again. Looking up himself the brunette noticed an enormous bird making rounds overhead, a metal water basin clutched in its talons. Then as they made rounds around the streets the elder would always end up leading them past a two storey grocery. He would cast a glance into the window even before the store was open ; once it had opened for the day the two were forced to walk nearest the opposite buildings to avoid the heavy foot traffic. But Kakashi's step always ended up slowing and his glances lingering longer than someone simply window shopping.

By the time night started to fall the pair realized that neither of them had eaten that day, and while side dishes didn't necessarily qualify as a meal they did go well with alcohol. Thus they found themselves in this situation now.

Kakashi had consumed his share far quicker than his subordinate had. Yamato had a feeling it had something to do with an internal conflict his senior was facing. The introvert wasn't known to express his feelings. Hell, it was so rare that some would say that he never did it at all. But having such a lengthy past, Yamato knew better, and above all else he knew that alcohol sped up the process exponentially.

Business, missions, precautions, and serious tones turned into likes, dislikes, what brought them up, what brought them down, and jovial pestering all around. They would remind each other of how arrogant and rash the other was during their childhood, analogies to Naruto often coming up in these times. Other times Yamato would find himself the victim of Kakashi's quick wit, tongue just as silver as his unruly locks.

But this night had been different. The former captain wasn't as snide as his usual self and he had inhaled his sake - ordered warm, which he had never done before - much quicker than any of their previous gatherings. This paired with him mumbling to himself every so often really tipped Yamato off to the fact that there was something on Kakashi's mind. Yet no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't find a way to properly vocalize his suspicion through the inebriation.

Luckily for him the prodigy took care of the problem. With his ramblings growing louder after every glass, Yamato was able to pick up on one repeated, familiar word : Hanae.

"Kakashi-senpai, who's Hanae?" The brunette feared he would get a repeated answer for the repeated question.

Instead of offering the same convoluted answer as before, Kakashi laid his unsteady head in his hand and stared wistfully at the dim lamp overhead. "A woman. A farmer. Moved here a couple years ago." He held his hands out as far as they would stretch, "she has a really big owl named Hikoboshi." Then he moved his hands in an pear shape, ending with palms curved up and a salacious closed eye smile "and a really nice butt."

Okay, the answer was still convoluted.

Yamato furrowed his brow at the statement, "and you're actually dating this woman?"

"I'm pretty sure. We've already slept together." Kakashi laughed aloud as his junior's face erupted into a burning blush. The humorous outburst continued, waning in volume as the stunned man regain his composure.

After a moment of silence, Yamato spoke up again. "So, you love her?"

Kakashi peaked a brow, "hmm? Who?"

"Who else would I be talking about?"

"Hanae?"

Yamato nodded - well, at least tried to nod, every movement too vigorous making him want to puke.

Again Kakashi supported his head in his palm and stared off to somewhere just beyond the man in front of him. "I guess I do. She has a lot of love in her, maybe it just rubbed off on me." He squinted deep in thought. "Hanae has something special about her. No matter what happens she's always happy. Even after crying or getting angry or being worried sick, she ends the day with a smile. And it makes everyone around her smile." The jounin didn't realize the smile tugging at his own lips.

On the other side of the table Yamato found himself smiling, if only just for a second. He could sense how much his friend had changed, how different his aura became when talking about something that truly brought him a sense of peace. This was not something the other man would have confided in him without an immeasurable amount of trust between them. He knew Kakashi's life had been hard, he knew what he went through, he had seen the effects of what he went through. So seeing the man he considered a role model experiencing even a semblance of happiness brought joy to his own heart.

Yamato hadn't even met Hanae yet he could already feel the effect of her contagious elation.

"You're such a sap, Kakashi-senpai."

"I have no idea what you mean, Tenzo."

"Please don't call me that."

"Then don't call me senpai."