prologue

THE LOUD THUNDERING SOUND OF FEET AGAINST HARD FLOORING FILLED THE ROOM. Somehow the salty smell of the sea was filling her senses. She hated the feeling of sand in all her crevices but there she laid in her bed without showering from the previous night.

She took in the smell of old sunscreen on her arm, where her head rested. she sat up glaring at her painted toenails. she picked at the paint for a while before stretching. she had been disrupted by loud yelling from her friends.

She got up and walked to the mirror that had been previously covered by a blanket. She analyzed her clothing, some shirts from one of her ex's, and bikini bottoms, heading down to eat.

It was only a matter of time before she had to leave. Her mind was lost.

"Why do you look so mopey?"

"Dell says we're going to go broke if I keep staying here. I have to go back," she replied simply.

"C'mon Cherie you can't leave!" the dark-haired girl exclaimed. Shouts began to ring out in agreement.

"YEAH YOU CAN'T LEAVE, WHERE ELSE WOULD YOU BE GETTING GOOD FOOD LIKE... canned beans?"

"Exactly what Jackie said!"

"Stay Cherie! I'll make sure to get us some good gigs and we'll be rolling in the dough!" pleaded Joan.

"I don't like leeching off you guys... besides it'll only be for a couple of months. I'll be back before you know it." shoveling the canned beans into her mouth, Cherie resisted the urge to gag.

Joan grabbed Cherie's plastic plate and threw it into the trash.

"Hey, I was eating that!"

"Shut up, you would've gotten sick from that. Do you see anyone else eating it?" Joan rolled her eyes. She opened the pantry, searching for bread and peanut butter.

"Then why'd you give it to me!" Cherie yelled. Joan threw a peanut butter sandwich at her.

"If I can't convince you to stay, well then I'm going to have to go too." groans of disagreement were heard.

"That means we gotta get actual jobs!" Jackie whined out.

"Quit screwing around then!"

"You plan to hitchhike to meet up with Desiree?"

"Did you have any better or cheaper plans?"

"My baby!" a dark-skinned woman yelled. Cherie hugged her.

"Hey Desiree..this is Joan, she helped me out back in California," said Cherie as she pulled away.

Desiree looked Joan up and down. "She'll be a great help around." Joan awkwardly smiled.

"What the hell took you so long!" a bald man yelled. Cherie and Joan made eye contact before looking back at him. Dell, the bald man, glanced at Joan before looking back at Cherie.

"Hopefully you both can earn the money to pay me back what you got for California. You earn your meals around here...Joan." he huffed out.

"No worries sir, I'll be sure to."

"Road trip!"