Bedtime Stories

The prison was quiet as it was late in the evening. The moon was out and shining brightly in the dark night sky and most everyone had turned in for the day.

It was peaceful here at night. To some an abandoned prison might stir up unsettling sensations in the dark of night, but to you it gave you a moment to breathe a safe sigh of relief. You could think in the dark, you could sit and be still for a moment. You were safe, and no matter the history hidden within the grey walls and metal bars, you were thankful.

It was place not just for you or the family you had found along the way, but for your son.

He was young, too young for this kind of life. A world of chaos and decay, a life of running and fearing every single day. He was small and too innocent for this world. But it only drove you further to keep your little boy safe. To keep his strong spirit intacted and his pure and tender heart together. He was only five years old, and you wanted him to make it to every birthday waiting for him next.

You weren't the only one looking out for your little boy. Everyone in the group did their part, you were a family. And your boy, along with Carl and Judith were all cared for as though they were everyone's children. Your son's father left the picture long ago; shortly after you gave birth. You were used to being on your own with him. So it was an adjustment having people who wanted to help look after him and love him like you. But you grew to appreciate and value the help handed to you.

Among the group, one individual stood out when it came to caring for your baby boy. Daryl Dixon. The man who had seemed the coldest and the roughest out of everyone, due to the front he put up. The man who was the most guarded and the hardest to get to open up to you. But ultimately, the man with the biggest heart.

It took you by surprise his kindness towards your young boy. It wasn't that you thought he'd be cruel or unkind, but you never thought you would see the level of compassion or care from Daryl that you did.

Your boy was drawn to the strong and muscular redneck that stayed to himself most of the time. You never quite knew why, as Daryl was the complete opposite of your bouncing boisterous baby boy. But something about the man who wielded the crossbow spoke to your son, and with time he spoke to you too.

"And today the great Yertle, that marvelous he, is King of the Mud. That is all he can see."

A low southern voice stops you in your tracks just outside your cell, and quietly you peer into the room by pulling the sheet back descretly. And there, in the dim light of the burning candle, your son lays tucked in bed with Daryl Dixon beside him reading from an old and faded book.

The sight is one given only by chance. Getting to witness Daryl putting your little boy to bed, it takes you by surprise for a moment. This big broad man lays on top of the small mattress beside the young boy wrapped up in the sheets. He holds the faded green book in his hands as he reads Dr. Seuss in a gentle voice to your son. Lulling the small boy into a peaceful slumber, and all the while bringing a heartwarming smile to your face.

"And the turtles, of course... all the turtles are free. As turtles and maybe, all creatures should be."

Daryl closes the book as he looks downward at the boy who sleeps soundly beside him. And you watch as he inches off the bed slowly in an effort to not wake the child. Just as he stands fully and places the book on the dresser, you close the sheet.

Pressing your back against the cool grey wall, you shut your eyes. The tears that had begun to swell, you will away. And just as composure comes to you, Daryl steps into the dark hallway.

"Was jus tuckin him in." Daryl murmurs softly as you open your eyes at his presence.

Half of him is illuminated by the glow of the pale moonlight that floods in through the window across the way, but even in the dark his blue eyes find you.

"Thank you." You whisper softly to the tall redneck, and you can't conceal your faint smile stretching out across your lips.

Daryl shrugs, looking down at his boots sheepishly for a moment. But with time, he lifts his gaze and stares back at you once again.

"He's a good kid." Daryl tells you, and there's something in his voice that goes straight to your heart.

Reaching out, your fingers gently touch his hand until you grasp his rough and calloused hand in your own. "You're a good man Daryl Dixon."

"Pfft," Daryl blows out as he shakes his head, and he looks away from you.

"I'm serious," You say tightening your grip on his warm hand but continuing to keep your voice soft and quiet. "He's better because you're in his life."

Your words feel heavy in the silence that looms between the two of you, but you feel no regret in saying them. In fact, the opposite.

"His father left when he was born," You whisper. "He didn't care enough to stick around, or even try to love him. He just left."

Daryl shifts his weight from one foot to the other, and although his eyes haven't lifted again to look at you, you know he's listening.

"He's never had a father figure. A male role model to strive to be like." You say with a saddened shake of your head as you look towards the cell.

"But you," Daryl's head lifts slowly as your eyes settle back on the quiet redneck. "You give him someone to look up to. You give him someone to follow and to be like."

Daryl's hand tensed slightly beneath your touch as your words filter into him, but he doesn't dare look away.

"He's lucky to have you in his life."

Staring at the man who doesn't say much but doesn't need to in order to show that he cares. You smile softly at the fact that he's impacted both you and your son's life in ways you never imagined possible.

"We both are."

Squeezing his hand tenderly, you turn and slowly walk back down the hallway the way you came.

As you walked off down the hallway, Daryl glanced back at the small child sleeping soundly under the blankets in the cell. Looking at that child, your child, he can't help but believe that he was the lucky one. Lucky to have you and that little boy in his life. Lucky to have a little boy look up to him as some sort of role model.

But most of all, Daryl Dixon felt lucky to have a family to fight for... and a family to live for.

A/N: Here it is! The first one shot to start off my second book!! I'm happy with this sweet little one! And I am so excited about this book! I hope you all enjoy it just as much as the first book!