This Feeling

The sun had begun to rise over the community of Alexandria, bathing the town in a soft glow from the new morning light. But the coolness of the night before still stick in the air. Like an autumn morning before the sun warmed the afternoon, goosebumps could be found on the arms of anyone who was out in the brisk temperatures at this hour. The air was chilled and fresh, but created shivers in its path.

Daryl Dixon however; relished in the break from the heat of the summer sun.

He was the only person who appreciated the cold in the early morning hours. For the breeze blew over the sweat that still covered his flesh, and created a cool down that he melted against. The wind blew in the scent of the Earth and the forest just beyond the tall walls that enclosed him. Giving the man that felt like a caged animal at times, a breath of the life he loved the most.

But this morning, the scent that usually sent a calm wave washing over him, fell short. It stalled the second it came across the blood that dyed his pants in splatters and her tears that had dried against the flesh of his shoulder. Tightening his skin like paper mache. The cool weather and scent of the trees couldn't soothe the redneck like it could in the past. Not on this day.

"I thought you would've been inside."

Rick's voice floats over to Daryl, causing him to lift his head in the direction of the man walking towards him. Rick looks refreshed and dressed for the day ahead, where as Daryl sits on the steps in the clothes he wore the day before. His body still covered in the sweat and blood from the hours earlier in the night.

"Nothin I can do in there," Daryl replies, chewing on his thumbnail aimlessly. "Ain't no doctor."

Rick snorts lowly at his response, and climbs the minimal steps up to where Daryl sits tensely.

"You could sit with her you know."

Daryl shrugs his shoulder as he looks down at his knees bent out in front of him. "She's sleepin like she should. Don't need my eyes staring at her while she gets her rest."

Rick runs a hand through his shorter curls, and let's out a sigh.

"You're underestimating yourself."

Daryl hums lowly, and chooses to keep his eyes locked downwards rather than look to the man who sits beside him. Maybe because he lacks interest in Rick's words, but inside he knows it's because he doesn't want to see the look in his eyes.

"You may not be able to heal her with the right medicine or remove the bullets from her side surgically," Rick speaks in a low calm voice. "But you can sit with her."

"Give her some company while she recovers. Hold her hand when she starts feeling the pain again. Talk to her, spend time with her."

Rick looks over at Daryl, "It may not be as strong as morphine, but I assure you it would help her."

Daryl clears his throat and shakes his head in an attempt to wipe his mind from all emotion clouding his thoughts. Maybe if he could somehow close himself off completely, the things he felt would disappear as well. He managed to keep himself hidden well from others Daryl always thought, but when it came to her... he couldn't seem to hide very well at all.

"Should get goin," Daryl says abruptly. "Keep looking for the scumbags who shot her."

Daryl could've stayed out there after the accident. He could've stayed and searched for those responsible for her injuries, but instead the redneck carried her back to the Alexandrian Infirmary himself. Maybe he should've stayed out there, Daryl wonders. That way he wouldn't have to face Rick and his words. But he couldn't not be the one to make sure she made it.